Question about utility room, corrugated roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is a '50s era Wimpey No-fines job, with the single skin brick utility out the back, off the kitchen.

This is roofed with the corrugated Asbestos sheet (is that right? Grey, fibrous, quite old, original). At some point (I assume) this has been taken right up to the house and flashed to it (no problems there, it's working perfectly still).

The PO or a PO before him has then added doors to the "passageway" created, and effectively turned it into an extra contained room. Old wooden draughty doors, but they do the job.

The Last PO was a bit (OK, a LOT) of a bodger, apparently heavily into his DIY/Building, and running a company that does something in the line. So far, from all I've seen of the house, god help his customers. His electrical work was awful, plumbing ditto, tiling ditto etc etc.

He has added a (badly finished) sloping plasterboard ceiling in there, filler all over, light holders siliconed to it etc. Now, in one spot I can see damp. I assume the roofing failed to hold all the snowmelt back and some dripped through.

No biggie - I went out, and looked with a torch "end on" to the roof panels, and the wooden timbers that the panels sit on look rather the worse for 50 years wear. Some of it has been "sealed" with what looks like expanding foam.

Now, I've seen a few outbuildings like this (indeed my mum has one), but they're never usually plasterboarded. Part of me thinks this is probably for air circulation reasons. I'm guessing that plasterboard roof, plus badly done filler foam means no air circulation, and the timbers then can't dry out if they get damp, so they rot.

Can anyone lend any weight to the thought there? It's a damp room anyway (built up garden that comes partly up the wall on both sides, etc)

If I'm right, and air circulation is better, would a hole saw to he plasterboard and fitting round soffit vents in rows on the inside of the roof provide enough to help?

I'm rather worried that the roof timbers are rotting..I know the roof is getting brittle, I've had to fix a couple of holes that hail put in it last year already..! However, money is tight, so if it could hold it together a few more years, that'd be good. Heh.

I've currently got the dehumidifier running in there, a bucket of water over 2 days so far. Figures. Coins verdigris over a week in there!

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd drop that ceiling just to see how bad those joists are.....presumably the sheets have been fixed through the crests......either way, the screw nails will have let some water in by now.
For ventilation, I'd open up the soffits if a new ceiling goes in - vents in the ceiling will bring a gale into the room.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back