question for the kitchen fitters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a kitchen fitter, I am though a carpenter that has fitted a few kitchens! I fitted a kitchen the other day where the sink unit had to go in off centre to the reveals of the window, due to various white goods either side, now the drawing depicted that the sink and drainer should be placed central to the reveals of the window. So I cut the work top in, plonked the sink on top drew round it, reduced the line slightly and cut out the hole. Low and behold the sink bowl hit the centre bar of the unit. Now I know that this isn't uncommon! If I had of had the time I would have either chopped a bit out of the bar to allow the sink in, or got rid of it completly.

However, according to my boss, I cut the hole in the worktop for the sink in the wrong place because of this problem, but had I have cut the hole so the sink/drainer sat perfectly in the sink unit then the sink would have been miles out of centre for window reveals.

Now surely it is better asthetically for the sink to sit central and lose the bar than it is for the window to be off centre and keep the bar. In his opinion, I was wrong to follow the kitchen plans because they are there only for guideance. I ask, if this is the case than what is the point in having plans!

Gripe over with :mad:

Sponsored Links
i do what you do m8,next time ask your boss how he wants it to be fitted and then laugh your t**ts off when the agent/finishing foreman/customer say it dont look right.but like you i might be fitting kitchens wrong aswell :LOL:

i do what you do m8,next time ask your boss how he wants it to be fitted and then laugh your t**ts off when the agent/finishing foreman/customer say it dont look right.but like you i might be fitting kitchens wrong aswell :LOL:

Cheers, I can rest assured that I am right and he is just a t**t

chirpy - you're doing it the 'right' way. It's got look balanced, so if that means modifying carcasing then that's what has to be done.

Sponsored Links
I'm also a joiner who's fitted a few kitchens, but not a kitchen fitter....

I've had to do the same before, and had to notch out carcass rails before to accept a sink...

I'll do this, if I'm sure it won't comprimise the strength of the carcass too much.

I think your boss is talking cobblers..... :LOL:

I've had to do the same before, and had to notch out carcass rails before to accept a sink...

I'll do this, if I'm sure it won't comprimise the strength of the carcass too much.

If the cab is screwed into adjacent cabs, and fixed into the worktop with angle brackets front and back, it shouldn't go anywhere. Cabs under sinks don't usually get filled up with anything but old rags and a few bottles of cleaning products. I've never met anyone who stores food under the sink, it's all them jars and tins that are heaviest.

Those central posts need to be taken out quite often, especially if its a double bowl sink. I usually drop the sink into the centre of the carcass, It's up to the kitchen designer to try and get the carcass as central to the window as possible. rarely will you get window, sink, and carcass perfectly lined up.

SUPER, Thanks alot chaps, i think I'll print this a stick up my bosses *rs* :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back