Question for the pros.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moving a couple of bedroom rads around, and wanted to know if it's acceptable to do the following (see picture below) -

I can't get behind the joist to bring the pipe up, nor can i bend the pipe tight enough for a true 90 elbow without notching the joist further, so i've used a fitting instead, my only reservation is if at some point that fitting were to leak and no one were to know it'd rot the joist through!

So my question is - is it acceptable to do what i've done, or is there a better solution? How should i tackle this one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yeh its fine, needs must. I usually solder it first then fit it in and connect to rest of pipework, rather than scorching the joist.

As said should be fine, seen much worse attempts from so called plumbers! Nice to see you're using end feed fittings too... :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, i was there for ages thinking about the best way to get around it, sort of resigned myself to doing it that way as i couldn't sit around any longer doing nothing - it didn't feel right having a fitting directly over a joist but tried and couldn't get anything else to work - reassuring to know i haven't completely bulls'ed it then! :)

I would recommend that you line the cut out in the joist with some pipe insulation, you will have to cut it down to get it in, this will stop the pipe touching the wood & clicking as it heats up & cools down.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back