Question on pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have some questions regarding water pressure from the kitchen taps, but as a bit of background, we had some building works done recently (extension in the kitchen, new utility room formed, family bathroom made larger and an en-suite bathroom formed...and finally the existing boiler was moved from the ground floor kitchen into the loft.

The mains stop cock was also moved but the pipe work and route of pipework was left in place.

I think thats all!

Now, the issue is that the hot water in the kitchen from a mixer (a) takes an AGE to actually run hot and (b) comes out at little more than a trickle. It takes around a minute and a half to fill the half of the one and half size sink bowls (after 30 seconds of cold has been run to make it hot) and if you turn on the cold tap, even for a few seconds, it still runs cold for about 25 seconds or so after turning it off.

13000_12269_72548_44134830_thumb.jpg

In the family bathroom, the basin hot tap seems to spit before running either a dribble down the back of the sink or spraying all over your trousers :LOL:

13000_12269_72550_64212819_thumb.jpg

The bath taps seem to be ok(ish) - you just have to run them both together or it's a bit of a dribble. I'm (kind of) ok with this as they are the waterfall taps so I appreciate that there is alot of space to push the water out of.

13000_12269_72551_25343274_thumb.jpg

However, I'm not ok with the kitchen and it's getting on my nerves. The cold pressure isn't all that great either.

I've had the plumber back and he's checked for air locks etc but he said everything is "fine", despite the symptoms described above.

(The en-suite is fine, but this is pumped)

Any suggestions or should I just get another opinion from another plumber?

I appreciate there is a plethora of if, buts and maybes to this but any suggestions would be gratefully received. (The heating is fine though so it's not all bad!)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Try unscrewing the aerator from the end of the tap and see if any flotsam from the plumbing work has clogged it.

Sponsored Links
Took that off (not that I knew it was there!) and the water came out as I would expect...a nice gushing free flow.

There was a bit of crud in there but having cleaned it and replaced it, we're back to a trickle. Excuse my ignorance, but do I need this in place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back