Question re EPDM roof and sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the ferocious storms just before Christmas we had a small amount of water ingress where the flat roof meets the stone wall of our house. The original roofer came and said it was cos the stone is uneven and had become saturated with rain which then had nowhere else to go. I am dubious but not inclined to argue.

Anyway, where the flashing (lead) meets the wall, husband applied some sealant (Wickes black Roof and Gutter Sealant) all along the length of the flashing. He also lifted up the lead a little and applied some underneath where it overlapped the EPDM fabric. I hope this makes sense.

My concern is, is this stuff (the sealant) safe to use on an EPDM roof? It was so expensive - the roof that is - I'd hate to do anything to invalidate the warranty! The sealant smells kind of oily and I don't think oil and EPDM are meant to meet.
This is a link to the sealant if it helps: http://www.wickes.co.uk/roof+gutter-sealant-black-310ml/invt/240691/

Very grateful for reassurance.

Sponsored Links
The lead flashing should have been chased into the wall, then use lead mate mastic for that joint.

Regarding sticking it to the epdm, ( which shouldn't need it ) when we lay artificial grass on epdm, Firestone will only issue the warranty if we use a mastic that comes from Belgium, and not Wickes.

The lead flashing should have been chased into the wall, then use lead mate mastic for that joint.

Regarding sticking it to the epdm, ( which shouldn't need it ) when we lay artificial grass on epdm, Firestone will only issue the warranty if we use a mastic that comes from Belgium, and not Wickes.

Thanks for that. don't think the EPDM is Firestone but is from the USA. My main concern is that the black gunky stuff from Wickes won't damage the membrane. It's not mastic BTW, it's a sealant that you can peel off with your fingers.

Have a young roofer chap coming to redo the flashing either this Sat. (foul forecast though) or at end Feb.

(I wish we'd chosen good old felt, this EPDM stuff seems as sensitive as a supermodel!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back