question re joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am building a timber frame extension with a suspended floor. The builder (no longer on the job) placed the vents in the wrong place - I have been cutting out the blockwork today for the new vents and have found a nail which has pierced the dpc - he has a dpc with mortar and then 4x2 - because this was the wrong height he has nailed another bit of 4x2 on top of it which has obviously come through the dpc. Question -should I redo the joists sitting them on new dpc?
Many Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Are you refering to the timber frame sole plate? or the floor joists? Photos? Sketch would help.

timbo04 said:
Hi,
I am building a timber frame extension with a suspended floor. The builder (no longer on the job) placed the vents in the wrong place - I have been cutting out the blockwork today for the new vents and have found a nail which has pierced the dpc - he has a dpc with mortar and then 4x2 - because this was the wrong height he has nailed another bit of 4x2 on top of it which has obviously come through the dpc. Question -should I redo the joists sitting them on new dpc?
Many Thanks
Tim

If I read you correctly then the nail has pierced the DPC? This should be ok provided the wallplate timber is treated to the correct Class (Class 3 from memory).

The area is very small (provided you leave the nail in!).

Alternatively, simple patch the area in question from below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back