Question re Yale keys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently fitted a replacement euro cylinder for someone, key design as per image below (not my keys.) First time I've had experience of this key type. You need to be very precise to get it inserted, even when it's the right way up you sometimes think it isn't. The person using the key is elderly and finding it a bit difficult.

The keys are chamfered on the longer flat edges however the end profile of the key is nearly completely squared off and I reckon this isn't helping matters.

Could I chamfer a little bit from each of the short edges with a view to aiding insertion, or will this likely render the key useless? See below.

keys.jpg

keys2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, I can't say if a chamfer will impair functionality.
But I can say that I have a similarly styled ABS Avocet keyset, that does have a small chamfer and we've never had issues with it - the chamfer does help.

1715600551484.png

Ask Yale or a professional locksmiths... but I see no real reason why not. (Nor do I think it will help. personally).

We have the same keys and it's still 'strange' to have the key horizontal to insert it.
Just as with other eurocylinders one has to insert the key 'upside down' cf the old rimlocks.

NB there is no 'right way up' for the key.
Both faces of the key are cut and will operate the lock tumblers when inserted horizontally!

A touch of graphite in the lock and onto the key(s) may help lubricate the mechanism / shutter if that's the problem.

I had the same barrels supplied with my new front door and have a similar problem, looking at my key it doesn't look and of the valleys for the pins are really tight to the end so it's probably alright.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, I can't say if a chamfer will impair functionality.
But I can say that I have a similarly styled ABS Avocet keyset, that does have a small chamfer and we've never had issues with it - the chamfer does help.

View attachment 342991
All my external doors have ABS locks and I swear by them.
Once fitted, I put a bit of graphite on the keys and operate the locks a few times.

17156030849568989714334610070109.jpg

Then once in a while, I will repeat this.

They are as sweet as a nut.

Ask Yale or a professional locksmiths... but I see no real reason why not. (Nor do I think it will help. personally).

We have the same keys and it's still 'strange' to have the key horizontal to insert it.
Just as with other eurocylinders one has to insert the key 'upside down' cf the old rimlocks.

NB there is no 'right way up' for the key.
Both faces of the key are cut and will operate the lock tumblers when inserted horizontally!

A touch of graphite in the lock and onto the key(s) may help lubricate the mechanism / shutter if that's the problem.
Yeah the horizontal thing is strange, I assume it serves some (security or longevity) purpose as opposed to being purely cosmetic.

I've just got the person to try the key both ways and yes, it works, thanks for pointing that out! Although it shows how accurate you need to be as I was also convinced the key only went in one way.

I'm going to try the graphite, cheers.

I have the same Yale keys, and suffer the same problem. As I got 6 keys with each lock, I may try grinding a bit off 1 key to see what happens.
Try the graphite first as suggested here, might be the solution rather than grinding bits off!

Someone else on here asked the same question a while ago. I have the same keys. I found them a bit of a faff at first but pretty easy now. Maybe muscle memory or something but I have no bother at all with them. Try putting one corner of the key in the slot first at a 45° angle and then straighten the key up and push it in.

I found them a bit of a faff at first but pretty easy now. Maybe muscle memory or something but I have no bother at all with them. Try putting one corner of the key in the slot first at a 45° angle and then straighten the key up and push it in.
Agreed.
I have just been to one of ours...
I do just that without thinking (mebbe only 30 degrees though ;) )

Always on the right hand side, against the fixed part for what that's worth.
1715609487208.png

Hi. I would give the keys a gentle once over with very very fine sandpaper or fine steelwool to deburr the rough cut edges of keys. A quick swipe will do. Clean keys with cloth after. Invest in a can of graphite lock lubricant as some others here have recommended. Never use wd40 or anything but lock lube in cylinders. I stopped supplying dimple key cylinders on doors to the elderly- they often really struggle with using them even after months regardless of how rough or smooth the key fits. You’d be doing them a massive favour by swapping theirs with a decent anti snap normal key cylinder - they’ll sing your praises for going the extra mile for them - best publicity for business

Mine catches in the first 1/2-1mm of the tip of the key catching on the very front of the profile if it's not bang on straight. It doesn't even touch or get past the shutter so I doubt lubricating behind that will help a great deal.

Mine catches in the first 1/2-1mm of the tip of the key catching on the very front of the profile if it's not bang on straight. It doesn't even touch or get past the shutter so I doubt lubricating behind that will help a great deal.
You won't know if you don't try. Use a soft graphite pencil on the key if you don't want to get graphite powder (but that has other uses - e.g. on padlocks). Also try the angled attack Mottie mentioned.

The question is, why have they designed them like this? It's hardly what you'd call progress?

Sponsored Links
Back