Question re Yale keys

I dont see how a slight chamfer at the end of the key will affect its use. The tumbler is managed by the key slots and spots, not the font edge.

Sponsored Links
The question is, why have they designed them like this? It's hardly what you'd call progress?
You'd have to ask Yale that question.

But, quite honestly I have no problem with the keys now I'm used to them (and have lubricated them).

{The graphite has made an enormous difference to working of the padlock and key on Heating Oil Tank cover, too!}.

Yeah the horizontal thing is strange, I assume it serves some (security or longevity) purpose as opposed to being purely cosmetic.

It is because the pins in the cylinder have to move up and down, and in this key design, the dimples are on the flat, not on the edge.

I tried this type of key in a locksmith's shop and rejected it for this very reason.

I don't have any issues with the Avocet being horizontal, but I know some others do.

Sponsored Links
I tried this type of key in a locksmith's shop and rejected it for this very reason.

I don't have any issues with the Avocet being horizontal, but I know some others do.
I'll see how the user goes and if need be will swap it out for one that's easier.

Back