Question regarding Megaflo commissioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Megaflo water heaters in our building (14 flats) were installed about 5 years ago but the installer never signed off the logbook to formally commission the systems, and due to a dispute between him and the builder he probably never will. This leaves us in a difficult situation and we need to find out what we can do to get our installation (a) legal, and (b) documented so heating engineers will be happy to perform repairs and servicing.

I've found a company that are happy to conduct an inspection covering the following and issue a report.
- check and record each cylinder
- any defects
- any regulations not being met
- flow rate
- temerature calibration

From the point of view of heating engineers such as yourselves, would this be sufficient? If not, any ideas what we should do? :confused:

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
After five years?
The best thing to do is nothing, just get on with your lives!
What problems have you all encountered in the last five years.
Do you feel that the systems are not safe?
Have you had troubles getting engineers to service/repair?

have you had them serviced or repaired ?
this should be done annually and the engineer who has done this
would of pointed out any visual problems

Unfortunately we can't just ignore the situation. During the past five years the installations have had no servicing or maintenance because engineers don't want to touch an uncommissioned system. Also if owners wanted to sell their flat they have to disclose this information to the buyer, and what buyer wants to pay for a something that doesn't currently conform with building controls cos its not commissioned?

But the installation is in fact fine (we've had them informally inspected). Like I say, all we want is to get something in writing from a heating engineer that will hopefully replace the log book, to give future engineers confidence that the installation has been inspected and is ok for them to work on (and also give the owners the ability to sell the flats without the current problems). We just don't know whether the report I mentioned above would satisfy an engineer who knows his stuff, hence my asking here.

Cheers for the replies

Sponsored Links
I am astounded by what you say about engineers not being willing to touch them!

Anyone that is qualified is accustomed to visiting and inspecting and repairing them. I would wonder who you have contacted.

The Benchmark form should have been filled in and as a retrofit notified to Building Control. in a new build the latter is not normally needed.

All it seems is necessary is checking and filling the Benchmark.

Unlike gas appliances, as far as I can see anyone can do thst if they are qualified.

Tony

I agree that a G3 certificated engineer would be happy to work on them, I don't know anyone who checks the things are properly commissioned (as in the book filled in) before repairing or servicing them.

I'm assuming there direct immersion heater megaflows?.

It is worth noting that be failing to have the installations checked yearly in particularly the appliances safety devices you will have voided your building insurance in the event of water damage.

I no this for a fact as we had a incident of a 3 year old unvented installation where a pushfit blew of caused by a over pressuration. this main was running for a week in a million pound house was like 2 foot water in the lounge! Obviously they got onto developer and they got onto us and that was my response has it been serviced?
...."well no... its a new house..."

The insurance company wouldn't pay out and there was none for them to sue so they had to lump the cost themselves.

its worth noting the wording of what that company would say they will do or more like wot they haven't said.

1. You want a engineer with a valid unvented ticket and experience of commissioning cylinders.

2. them to confirm that the installation is compliant with current building regulations

3, that the discharges are correct and have been correctly sized and run out.

4 and everything else they said :)

insomnia is a bitch or falling asleep after work lol

Thats a good example of what can happen if people dont have their appliances seviced. Yet few do!

Technical question, what had caused the over pressurisation and why had the two protective devices not opened?

Tony Glazier

Thanks for all the responses. The engineers coming over have agreed to complete the Benchmark Commissioning, Installation and Service Log Book following their inspection.

For the benefit of anyone reading in future, the NHBC (Building Control) did say that a commissioning certificate provided by an appropriately qualified engineer would satisfy them (and any building control body) in lieu of a logbook from the original installer.

Cheers. Fantastic helpful forum members on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back