Questions? Photos of hardwood patio door concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm am in the process of buying a new house and would like an informed opinion on if these doors have been fitted correctly?

Apparently the windows are painted hardwood so perhaps these doors are too.

I have not seen doors before with these 3 metal plates on show, are they a security feature,surely these plates should be hidden.

Also the sill appears to be metal, I find it odd the screws are on show, is this the correct way of fitting?

Does anyone know what make the doors are so I can check with the manufacturer?

All your help is really appreciated, it's bests if I have some info before the builder tries to fog me off.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a builder so my views are just my opinion.

My gut instinct would tell me to avoid this house. The metal cill looks like a poor patch-up for some kind of rain penetration problem. If you look in the right hand corner it has been siliconed and there is a gap which would allow rain water to seep under the edge. The hinges look as though they could have their pins knocked out with a hammer and pin punch, thereby allowing the door to be lifted out of the frame. It seems a slender frame to be carrying a large sheet of double glazing that size. I think you may have problems in the future of the door warping/twisting in damp conditions. The steel plates on show could be security bolts inside that you turn with a screw type key but you can see blanking buttons on the face of the door. It may be possible to remove these then use a screwdriver to loosen the locking mechanisms inside.
If this is what the exterior door is like I would not like to speculate what you may find inside once you move in and start decorating.

As I said, I am not a builder, but my gut instinct is to avoid this property.

If that's ALL you can find wrong, then negotiate on the price to allow for a new patio door to be fitted (allow 2K). It does look like a dog's dinner of a job.

Errm if they can't even get right the bits that people can see!!!!!! then I would avoid buying a property from these people.

Sponsored Links
I think it's a bit much to avoid buying the whole house because of one slightly dodgy patio door... It's not like the current owners actually built the house...

The door looks crap to me. The mitres and alignment on that moulding are miles off, and I've no idea why those screws are visible. All in all it looks poor.

I'm sure these rough edges could be fixed with a bit of work and some wood filler, or you could just replace it. At the end of the day it if opens, closes and keeps the rain out it'll do for a while...

I think it's a bit much to avoid buying the whole house because of one slightly dodgy patio door... It's not like the current owners actually built the house...

The door looks crap to me. The mitres and alignment on that moulding are miles off, and I've no idea why those screws are visible. All in all it looks poor.

I'm sure these rough edges could be fixed with a bit of work and some wood filler, or you could just replace it. At the end of the day it if opens, closes and keeps the rain out it'll do for a while...

it's a new house, the ladt one on the small development of 14 houses...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back