Quick check on part P compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, thanks for the help so far I have picked up on various bits of this forum as a lurker.

Anyway, 2 quick questions on Part P as I am not sure I fully understand the implications of it.
I am doing the bathroom at the minute and installing an extractor fan, however this is an inline fan so only a hole in the wall and a plastic cover will be within the "special area", the fan itself is going to be in the loft space above. Am I correct in assuming this is not something requiring inspection?

Similarly, installation of recessed ceiling lights, not above the bath but will be above the sink and centre of the bathroom at a height of 2.4 metres (basically a T shape of 5 spotlights)
This is the bit I don't fully understand. How does this bit work? Its ok for a knackered 35 year old fitting that was originally there when the house was built but not ok to put a couple of holes in the ceiling for new lights?

Sponsored Links
Re your original query ref Part P..

It is the new work that has to comply with new regulations.

So, I am afraid.......

Its electrical work
Its in a special location (bathroom)
Its therefore notifiable

You should have notified before starting work - or use a registered electrician to do the work for you.

Sponsored Links
If you're installing to BS7671:2008 then zone 3 doesn't exist in a bathroom, only zones 1 and 2.

Still no zone 3 in a bathroom according to BS7671:2008 which is what I commented on.

BAS, are you tring to say that you do not have to notify electrical work in a bathroom if the work is 'outside zones'.?

I dont see reference to zones in Part P document. It just says room containing a bath or shower...." etc

BAS, are you tring to say that you do not have to notify electrical work in a bathroom if the work is 'outside zones'.?

I dont see reference to zones in Part P document. It just says room containing a bath or shower...." etc

That's exactly what he's saying.

The fan and wiring are in the loft though,only the grill is in the actual room.

Would that be notifiable.

Even With the recessed lights, you could also say the wiring is not really in the room, or zone 1 or 2 or old zone 3

Still no zone 3 in a bathroom according to BS7671:2008 which is what I commented on.

True. But I was assuming that BAS might have been influenced by the fact that the Building Regulations refer specifically to the 16th edition (which had a zone 3 of course).

Anything above 2.25m is outside the zones and not subject to notification, in law, whether they intended it or not.

I just can't quite get my head around the whole 'outside of zones' not being notifiable. Considering the major impact depending on what part of the bathroom work was carried out in I'm amazed it's not been carried over to the documents which are easily accessible for electricians (Approved document Part P and the Electricians Guide To The Building Regulations).

For that reason I would always go along the lines of a special location being a location containing a bath or shower basin and not an zoned area inside of a location containing a bath or shower basin.

True. But I was assuming that BAS might have been influenced by the fact that the Building Regulations refer specifically to the 16th edition (which had a zone 3 of course).

Anything above 2.25m is outside the zones and not subject to notification, in law, whether they intended it or not.

Unless of course you choose to refer to BS7671:2001.

Nice one, Gary. I missed that! So the new stuff would have to be above the old zone 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back