Quick - dumb question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to turn off the HOT water in our house. We have a cylinder in an airing cupboard and standard (not combi) boiler downstairs.

Where do I find the tap to turn off the hot water. Buggered if I can find it. :oops:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I can't see it from here.

You might start by looking at the pipes that exit the bottom of the cold water tank in the loft. The supply to the hot cylinder will be quite a big one. If you find it, write a conspicuous permanent label and attach it for next time.

If no taps up there, look at where it goes into the bottom of the hot water cylinder.

If you have no taps, you can cut off the supply to the cold water tank, and drain it by opening the cold bath tap.

Thanks for the reply

So, if I cut off the feed TO the hot water cylinder, no hot water will come FROM the cylinder - is that what you are saying?

A plumber did a job in our bathroom a year or so ago, and he removed the sink and capped the pipes for a while. I can't remember him having to drain the tank.

Thanks

thediynovice said:
Thanks for the reply

So, if I cut off the feed TO the hot water cylinder, no hot water will come FROM the cylinder - is that what you are saying?

Thanks

that's right. It obtains its pressure, and its flow, from the cold tank (the incoming water goes in at the bottom, and pushes the outgoing water out of the top.

I should have mentioned, you can also put a rubber bung in the supply pipe at the bottom of the cold tank, this might be what your plumber did. there are special conical bungs available at your plumbers merchant. It can speed up the job. You will be surprised how cold the water is when you put your arm in it to manipulate the plug.

Sponsored Links
Nice one.

I can honestly say I didn't know that ! :D

That's something I've learnt today.

Thanks again John.

If you dont want a cold wet arm then you can tie a string onto the bung and then use a stick to push it into place!

Poof, that would be fidly, you've got to get your arm wet really, because you need the fine motor control just to find the hole, let alone stick anything in it which fits nice and tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back