Quick fix for coil in hot water cylinder leak..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the problem at home where the overflow from the Central Heating Expansion tank was constantly dripping without the Ball Cock leaking - putting this down to the water in the Cylinder getting into the Central Heating Circiut via a leak in the coil I decided on trying an 'in-situ' fix. What I did was turn off the feed to the Cold water tank (and hence the hot water) and ran the hot taps to create a vacuum in the cylinder. I then poured some 'Leak Stop' into the Central heating expansion tank which got sucked back down into the coil - through the leak - and hence fixed the hole causing the problem..

Worked a treat.. how u like them apples fish-face!

Sponsored Links
i was wondering about the pressure differential.

if its on the oustide of the coil, it may get "blown off"

if its inside the coil it may get "blown in"

if the latter, will it not (eventualy) seal the boiler (sorry fuel fired heat transfer device)

seems to be a case of a bodge too many, or a "i will try this because i think it will work, but havent thought it trough"

Sponsored Links
yes, pity you forgot about oil, then i suppose their is coal too :evil:

I did think it through - that may explain why it worked!

The header on the central heating side only lost less than 1 inch in height so it bloked the leak pretty fast so hardly any leak fix got into the secondary circuit..

As it was only a small dripping leak the worst that can happen is that it will start to drip again, and given time the repair will probably scale over anyway... it will be interesting to see if it lasts - only one way to find out!

Am I the plumb master... I think that I am !

i assume aav is automatic air vent?

assuming so, aav and "leak stop" mmmmmmmmmm..............(doesnt sound good, i am not a plumber, it just does not sound good)

I also wonder what will it do to the pump, bleed valves, trv?

any one else have an opinion?

You might have cured it for now but wait till you get the bill to sort it out properly! (powerflush,new tank,new pump,new 3 port) good move :LOL:

I am banking on a new cylinder at some point - the 'leak fix' is a product designed for central heating systems which states 'won't affest pumps or valves, etc'... works lovely this far - I think that the 'leaks' it works on are probably narrow capillaries in joints and threads..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back