Quick fix sound insulation ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking use Tecsound 50 self-adhesive sound barrier matt under the existing plasterboard ceiling. The thickness of the matt is 2.6 mm and a single layer is reducing noise by 24 db. Tecsound 100 with thickness of 5 mm is reducing noise by 32 db. By adding two layers of 2.6 mm I should achieve 32 db noise reductions and also manage overlapping in an even way.

Then apply an additional layer of plasterboard.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Hard to say without knowing what type of sound is troubling you and the precise make up of the floor/ceiling and surrounding walls. One thing for sure though - there are no magic materials. Be aware that figures quoted for performance of materials in sound systems can be very misleading. The only thing that can be reliably compared is one complete system with another. Also note that complete systems will include a combination of light and dense layers and the air spaces between layers are critical. You must also be careful not to overload the floor. If deflection of the floor element is increased sound transfer is also increased.

There are both airborne and impact noise but the most annoying is the airborne. I wanted to insulate the ceiling without removing the existing plasterboard and with minimum height loss...?

Sponsored Links
Ceilings/floors are always difficult to deal with. And I take you don't have control of the floor above - which makes it harder still. Main problem is overloading the floor. That's why you need to know the exact construction. If the floor would take it my advice would be batten out, acoustic mineral wool, resilient bars and a couple of layers of dbcheck board. But it's unlikely the floor would take the load so don't put your order in just yet. If you can add a floor treatment there are dense underlays that are nearly as good as many so called acoustic products and a fraction of the price. Don't spend a lot of money on magic materials though. They don't work. As a test you could ask the manufacturer to provide a comparison sound reduction graph for a floor without the material and the same floor with. I'll bet they don't have one but if, by some miracle, they do, then you could compare that with similar systems to get the best cost benefit.

Another more complicated solution would be to remove the existing ceiling and put rockwool between the joists (50-60 kilos) and underneath acoustic plasterboard (40-50 kilos more than the basic plasterboard). This way I will add about 100-110 kilos more on the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back