Quick fixes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I'll be shot down in flames for wanting to do this but we are due to move back into our home next week following 6 months in a tiny caravan whilst flood damage was repaired. We have just the weekend between the builders leaving and the laminate flooring being laid/ furniture arriving back. In this time we have to paint all the skirting boards, doors and frames in the lounge/ dining room/ kitchen/ hall/ stairs & landing (argh!!!). We would have prefered to use good paint and leave days in between coats but it's not possible. Can anyone recommend a brilliant white one coat paint in a eggshell finish? I know it will yellow in about a year but we will have more time to paint it again properly then. We need to be able to buy it from B&Q, Wickes or Homebase. Oh, the woodwork we are painting is pre-finished MDF, Do we need undercoat?

Sponsored Links
No gunfire from me:

Crown - Solo Satin. No need for undercoat if it's pre primed.
Don't rub the finish off the mdf, thus making it bare.

You could also try a small tin of Crown Breatheasy Pure Brilliant White Non Drip Satin. It's water based, dead easy to apply with a soft brush, will stay white, dries quickly, has a great finish but the coverage is poor and marks fairly easy... DO NOT STIR.

Solo wins for me. ;)

Cheers, Solo it is then. I think we may have used it in the past once and seem to remeber it was quite good at the time. We were determined to do it right this time as it's not often you have an empty house but the builders have been on go slow the past few weeks and our 2 weeks decorating time has shrunk to two days! Hey-ho.

Thanks Growler. We used the Crown Solo Satin and it looks a lot better than we imagined. And we got finshed in time which is amazing considering the amount of painting we had to do. Even had time to put up shelves in the bathroom!

Great tip. Much appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Why dont you just use trade gloss from B and Q, the boards are already primed and it will give a longer lasting finish, you will regret rushing it in years to come, especially when you want to rub all that thick paint off, thats if it doesnt chip off first!!!!

Sorry Andy, just didn't have the time to allow it to dry. The one coat looks fine at the moment. I'm sure we will need to do it again in a year or so but it's not that thick and we can overpaint with a harder wearing paint when the time comes. Growler really did give us the best solution for the time we had. We are not decorators so perfect speed-painting is not our speciality I'm afraid. The one coat looks clean, modern (better than gloss) and as he said it's actually white and looks good against our white walls (not yellow like the gloss in our bedroom!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back