Quick help needed on wood choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I built a false wall to conceal a cistern in my bathroom.

I want a removable shelf to sit on top.

I got a carpenter round to measure up for that (and a bath panel).

Originally I wanted to buy a nice bit of pine to use for the shelf which will be 165x25cm.

Chippie says to me that I'd be better off using 18mm MDF as the pine will warp in the humidity. I said that I wanted the shelf varnished similar to the wood windows in the bathroom. He says you can do that with MDF. (I can't recall whether he actually said varnish or stain)

I've now bought the piece of MDF and the chippie is coming on Friday to do the work.

The MDF looks really horrid to me and now my girlfriend said she's not sure MDF can even be varnished. I've done a bit of googling and I've found accounts of people staining MDF.

Questions: How is staining different to varnishing? Can either be done to MDF?

Can MDF be finished to look anywhere near as nice as a bit of pine?

Is it really folly to try and proceed using pine in a bathroom?

He's coming Friday so rapid help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
i personally wouldnt use mdf in a bathroom,but hey your the 1 paying the bill if you want pine/hardwood/ then tell him thats what you want.

i personally wouldnt use mdf in a bathroom,but hey your the 1 paying the bill if you want pine/hardwood/ then tell him thats what you want.
Why would you not use MDF in a bathroom? Is it for aesthetic reasons or practical? Do these reasons also apply to pine wood?

MDF can be varnished, but it really needs either spraying, or taking the time to do lots of coats and rubbing down between to give a smooth finish.

Finished, it is really just like a high gloss with no grain or effect - contemporary looking really.

Staining will just darken the MDF and will not protect it.

IMO, although it can be varnished, MDF is a poor choice for this purpose, as it needs more care to look after and will be more susceptible to damage from water ingress

I can't see a problem in using pine. As a shelf, it is not in a place susceptible to high and uneven humidity, its fixed down, and typically, pine board is made of lots of strips glued together, which resist warping

Sponsored Links
i would definatly go for pine idealy as said 3 or 4 strips glued together with alternating grain
what ever you do make shure it has at least 2 coats of varnish on before you cover the cistern with it unless the cistern lid is in place

you dont see many saunas clad in mdf i wonder why ;)

i would agree though if its more than 6" wide cupping could still be a problem

i think b&q do a pine board whith strips glue together to give stability.
your joiner is talking nonsense saying pine is more likely to warp than MDF.
MDF can be varnished to seal it and it looks like shiny MDF, not wood!
Ditch the joiner next time, I am guessing he's more of an odd-job man.

gregers wrote:

Why would you not use MDF in a bathroom? Is it for aesthetic reasons or practical? Do these reasons also apply to pine wood?

dont really think i need to add anymore,been beaten to it ;)

I dont see why using wood in a bathroom for this use would be a problem.

For a shelf... I would go ahead and use the pine you want and just ensure generous oiling (and oil once a month for 3 months) then as often as needed after that.

If water cant penetrate it then its not going to suffer any damage. You already have pine in your bathroom that you are trying to match right.

MDF is not going to match it.

Completely oil the wood you are going to use.
Important that any exposed grain is also oiled. if moisture penetrates it then its going to suffer.

Condensation is likely to gather on it at times so its equally important that no water gets trapped in any gaps between edges etc... so use a waterproof sealer in any gaps (gaps where your shelf joins other materials).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back