Quick oven socket question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i have a 45Amp cooker socket with 13amp 3 pin plug,

I also have 10mm cable, Ok so far?

15-20m run of cable pinned to the wall with only the last 2 meters hidden behind skirting board.

Thing is Wylex dont do a 45Amp MCB so do i go 50 or 40Amp given the Maths point to 41.5 watts

Might sound silly just want it to be safe

Sponsored Links

OK good

Are you sure its 10mm cable?

15-20m run of cable pinned to the wall with only the last 2 meters hidden behind skirting board.

Hidden behind skirting board?!

Thing is Wylex dont do a 45Amp MCB so do i go 50 or 40Amp given the Maths point to 41.5 watts

41.5 watts? Are you sure?

Get an electrician in then.

OK good

Are you sure its 10mm cable?

Hidden behind skirting board?!

41.5 watts? Are you sure?

Get an electrician in then.

God, I sound like BAS now! :( :(

Yeah pal 7.2Kw Induction hob and 2.25 kw Oven.

Math's show 9450 watts divided by 230 volts = 41.086 amps

A very basic figure im sure with very few things taken into consideration.

I also have very little choice as to were to route the last 3 meters of cable either behind skirting or make a channel in wall and plater it in.

Either way its better than whats there now a spur with one end of some 1970's rubber covered wire joined to modern PVC wire with insulation tape.

Sponsored Links
40A would be fine for a 41.5A cooker circuit with diversity taken into consideration. For a cooker it's 10A plus 30% of the remaining total load, plus 5 for the socket. You're well under forty.
Earthed metal protection behind the skirting if it can't be avoided. You can't legally do this work if you're not qualified to certify, so you'll be in trouble if it goes wrong. Better to get an electrician if you're not a hundred percent on what's going on.

Correction Sherlock: The O/P (or his grandmother) can do this work 'legally', provided that the work is notified to the council.

In this case, a 32A MCB will be more than adequate, since the Regulations allow for standard domestic loads of up to 15kW........

Lucia.

cool, would the 50amp mcb be ok protected with the rest of the sockets on the 30Ma RCD ?

You have no need of a 50A MCB for such a slight load, Filby,

"Cool" indeed..........

Lucia.

Thanks very much il get a 40Amp ordered asap and some trunking. get the lot protected with the RCD

Traced the wire today, mighty thick stuff the 10mm cable bought the Mk+3pin cooker panel with the Hob being 7.2 kw and the single 3 pin overn being 2.2-3 Kw.

Filby: I hope you're not saying that the hob will be hardwired to the new CCU and the oven will still be plugged into to the CCU socket outlet?

Surely, I'm mistaken? Because the hob and oven can both be hardwired together to the CCU (preferably via a cooker connector plate).

Lucia.

BAS has often demonstrated good humour in the past. I think he's taken the evening off with that one ^.........

Lucia.

Are the eight little rectangular snippets of paper that say "WARNING" not needed any more? Margaret...? ...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back