Quick question about back boxes and running cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

New extension shell complete, internal walls are cncrete 7n blocks. Inended to dot and dab with PB then skim coat.

I am going to sink back boxes for the electrician to save a bit of money but I am unsure how much i need to sink them by and what he will do with the cable.

Was assuming allow about 10mm for dabs and then thickness of pb and then sink the boxes by depth of box minus pb and 10mm for dabs? Would that be right or should I go a bit deeper just in case?

Also interested in what is standard practice for the professionals regarding running of the cables to these, will they just be attached to the wall and run in the gap behind the pb (i.e. the gap that the dabs create. I am going to pb myself so can put it on after the spark has done the fixing if that's better.

What would the pro's on here usually do? Its only single storey extension. I realize conduit may allow cables to be pulled through later? but if possible want to avoid as much chasing as possible as the extension breaks into existing house and dust goes everywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Dot and dab plus plasterboard = 23 + 2mm for skim = depth of backboxes for all light switches and sockets.
Only need to dig in for the likes of cooker switch and or cooker connection unit which is normally 35/45mm deep or other larger cable sizes.
Cables can be clipped direct and dot and dab around them but they must run in the safe zones.

Many thanks Riveralt.

And yes aware of the safe zones thanks. Wont be cabling myself anyway but the position of the boxes has taken into account where the spark can run the cable from beneath the floor vertically to the socket, switch etc.

Much obliged.

That'll be fine for 25mm backboxes, but if you're planning on having the flat plate sockets and switches, they'll sit in better if you have a deeper box, so a 35mm box chased in by 10mm
PJ

Sponsored Links
This may not apply if it's your own house and you are there all day - but it is always a good idea to keep a record of exactly where the various boxes are including measurements from the floor / ceiling / walls.

Some plastering people might accidentally forget to cut holes on the board or mistakenly plaster right over the backboxes, concealing them from view.

I would always use 35mm boxes for sockets now, had lots of issues with cable entry using 25mm ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back