Quick question on fitting a pendant light in my bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've attempted to fit a new light in my bedroom but the plastic terminal block wired to the ceiling is too large for the pendant to fit over.

I attach photos and would like advice on how to wire the pendant fitting. The photo shows that the light comes with a terminal block but this makes no provision for the earth.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Mikeinthemidlands

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 159
Sponsored Links
The fitting is a class II double insulated one, therefore does not require earthing. So connect the CPC/earth in a separate connector, that is not directly connected to the fitting. Other than that, looks standard brown to live of fitting blue to neutral of fitting.

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks so much for replying.

Just to be 100% sure, I use the block connector in the photo (supplied with the fitting) to wire from the fitting to the mains cable and then use a separate block connector to the earth (and this block connector won't connect to anything).

Mikeinthemidlands

I assume that either you have a junction box with your other cables inside the ceiling void or that your switch live/neutral and earth have come directly from your
switch.

Sponsored Links
Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry
Just to be 100% sure, I use the block connector in the photo (supplied with the fitting) to wire from the fitting to the mains cable and then use a separate block connector to the earth (and this block connector won't connect to anything).
Yes use the manufacturer's terminal connector for live/neutral, then you will need use a separate connector to leave the earth out of harms way.
The fitting is designed not to require an earth, so you don't connect the earth directly to fitting's components. What you must not do is snip/cut the earth off, as this maybe needed on a future light fitting and is also very useful when it comes to inspection and testing the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back