Quick question, outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Tried to use search engine but can't find what i'm looking for.

What i want to do is fit an mk masterseal socket on the outside wall of my conservatory by spuring of the ring main in there, which is rcd protected.
Question being is there any minimum height requirement from outside ground level to the socket ?.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
450-1200mm applies to inside, but am not sure if it applies to outside aswell

andrew2022 said:
450-1200mm applies to inside, but am not sure if it applies to outside aswell
Thanks andy. Did some checking up on this and belive that the 450-1200mm rule is a building regulation for NEW DWELLINGS ONLY, and not an iee requirement, being aimed at the dissabled for ease of access.
If this is correct and my conservatory is only attached to the house it does not come under building regs, therefore i can put them where i want.
What do you think ?

i would put it at a suitable height. wether it falls between 450 and 1200 or not

Sponsored Links
You will want to take into account any flood risk that may exist.

I wouldn't imagine you were planning on mounting the socket right down on the ground, of course! But if you WERE to do this, and this was a sunken-level patio, which flooded to a level of a few inches for some reason, you could get into problems then, depending on the IP rating of the socket.

are you spurring off the ring main or extending it?? it is not a goood idea to keep spurring off the ring main without an intermediate circuit protector (switch fuse or similar).

Thanks for replies guys.
Intend to mount about 400mm from the patio.
Conservatory has it's own ring main.so i was going to spure off at two seperate points for two single sockets outside, ip56 rated.

Using a switched fused spur plate means you can turn off the outside socket if you want. And anything plugged into it.

Thanks damocles.
Switched fused spure plate. Is that sparky slang for an fcu ?.
If so would this be ok ?

ring..........internal socket.........ring.
------------------I
----------------- I
-----------------fcu
----------------- I
------------------I
----------outside socket
OR,

ring..........internal socket.......fcu..........ring
-------------------------------------I
-------------------------------------I
----------------------------outside socket

Not bad for someone with a hangover ehh ?
Merry christmas :D

either. most commonly there is a link between a socket and FCU because it is easier. if all the wires are in the wall its pretty hard to add the FCU direct to the ring since there wont be enough length

The second one has the ring coming in and out of the switched fused connection unit's 'feed' or 'in' or 'supply' terminals, so two cables for in and one (the spur) for out from the 'out' or 'load'. I would find this a little fiddly.

In the first one I suppose it is much the same, you would have three cables in the back of the internal socket - a little easier for wiring though, I think.

It being an outdoor socket, I personally would install a residual current device (RCD) in case of mowers mowing a flex etc. Better than someone having to remember/bother to plug one of those portable ones in (and mine doesn't fit into my outside socket due to the flap anyway). I would probably install this before the switched fused connection unit (so switching the fused connection unit on/off/changing the fuse would not affect the residual current device - although not a big problem if they are next to each other I suppose).

(Personally I never use 'fcu' or 'switched fcu' or similar - I just don't like TLAs).

Circuit on rcd side of cu. don't think i need another do i ?.
What does tla stand for ? just curious !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back