Quotation - Rebuild chimney stack.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone has just said that water is penetrating down a chimney stack on a house we intend to buy, and he recommends that it be rebuilt, and a lead tray inserted.

This sounds an expensive job to me.

The property is a two storey Victorian Terrace. The chimney is of average height and dimensions. Does anyone know what the broad brush costs should be from a competent supplier to erect scaffolding, take down, and rebuild the stack with a lead tray?

Also, is there any alternatives?

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
£1500.00, if it's just a short stack and only to the ridge and back.

about £4000.00 if it's all the way through the house

Thanks a lot - do I budget extra for any scaffolding?

What do you mean by 'penetrating'? There are millions of houses sitting quite happily for a hundred years or more without 'penetrating'.

Are you sure that the 'wet' isn't coming from a boiler that is flued up a chimney without a liner? That is the main reason for wet chimney breasts.

Sponsored Links
Quite right. I've seen dozens of Victorian chimney stacks with dampness and leaking but non of them needed rebuilding. The stack probably just needs some routine maintenance or an improved weathering/flashing or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back