Quote check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

For a new consumer unit with RCD, in a bungalow in the South East with 13 sockets - including 3 new ones (wire not chased into wall and getting there via loft)- we've been quoted £300. Is this reasonable?

Sponsored Links
DaveJ123 said:
£300. Is this reasonable?

Very reasonable. Make sure you get an electrical installation certificate with it. (This is a requirement under the regulations.)

Ok, thanks. But just to make sure there's no confusion: the 13 sockets are already there i.e. apart from the consumer unit and RCD, he's just adding 3 new ones. It does seem a lot to me as I'd have thought that installing the consumer unit is just a case of knowing (for sure!) which wire goes where, really, isn't it?

Dave

DaveJ123 said:
...he's just adding 3 new ones. It does seem a lot to me as I'd have thought that installing the consumer unit is just a case of knowing (for sure!) which wire goes where, really, isn't it?

It also requires that every circuit is tested before connection, which takes a lot longer than most people realise. Sometimes remedial work is needed. Your main earthing and bonding might need to be brought up to standard. There may not be enough length on the existing cables to connect to a new unit without extending them... all sorts of possibilities that won't become apparent until the work is under way.

When I quote for replacing a consumer unit I have to assume that it could easily take me most of the day and therefore I charge for a day's work, as I won't be booking in anything else for that day. I never quote less than £250 for a CU change and given that you're also getting extra sockets (for which some firms will charge £80 a pop) and you're in the southeast that quote sounds absolutely fine... as long as he is not just bunging it in without testing and certifying the work.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks a lot dingbat.

One other thing though (for anyone): This RCD worries me. I'm concerned the whole house might be cut off due to a trivial non-lethal issue somewhere. That does happen doesn't it? Where exactly does the RCD go? Is it possible to have it just protecting some circuits - say, the kitchen? I don't want the house plunged into darkness because someone's pulled a plug out of a socket.

Dave

That does happen doesn't it?

Yes.

Where exactly does the RCD go?

That depends. It'll usually be fitted inside the consumer unit (as part of a split-load unit, or as the main incomer), or it may be fitted in a seperate enclosure just upstream of the consumer unit (usually, when the installation is TT, and the consumer unit is made of metal).

Is it possible to have it just protecting some circuits - say, the kitchen?

That is what usually is done during new installs. A split-load board allows some circuits to be RCD protected and some not. (e.g. Sockets with RCD, Lights without RCD).

I don't want the house plunged into darkness because someone's pulled a plug out of a socket.

Very unlikely to trip with someone pulling a plug out.

DaveJ123 said:
Is it possible to have it just protecting some circuits - say, the kitchen?
You should have RCD protection on all downstairs sockets, not just the kitchen (if you have a TT supply, it should be all sockets in the house).

Re the kitchen, though - you need to be strict with your electrician and insist that he provides a non-RCD circuit for the fridge/freezer.

And ensure that you are left with spare ways on both RCD and non-RCD sides for future expansion...

ban-all-sheds said:
Re the kitchen, though - you need to be strict with your electrician and insist that he provides a non-RCD circuit for the fridge/freezer.
Fine with new installs but this is just a CU change. I very much doubt that this would be possible without a dedicated new circuit, which hasn't been explicitly requested. And we all know how people love having their kitchens rewired! (Usually just after the tiling :LOL: )

Ok, I hadn't thought about the fridge. Think I will ask for separate non RCD connection for that.

Thanks

DaveJ123 said:
Ok, I hadn't thought about the fridge. Think I will ask for separate non RCD connection for that.

Installing separate circuit just for fridge... about £80 - 150 depending on cable routes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back