Quote for electrics?

rlw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for an electricians quote for 8 spot lights, re wiring new sockets for kitchen and all appliances, outside light, fitting an extractor fan and testing.

Any idea how much I should be looking at paying?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It depends on a lot of factors i.e. how much work is involved, price of parts, where you live etc. Best bet is to ask around friends and neighbours for reputable electricians, worth making sure they are members of a competent person scheme here: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

I have had one quote come in at 2000+vat.

We live in south east, and we are providing sockets.

Come on, how is ANYONE going to know without site visit, volume on the sockets and appliances, distances to CU, routes to CU and overall condition of CU, earth bonding etc ??

Is the kitchen tiled (and do you mind them being broken)
What's the route between kitchen and CU (under floor and is there access)
What socket type do you want? White, metal, flat ?

On the assumption that the kitchen is gutted by a.n.other and that plastering and reinstatement of fabric damage will be covered by a.n.other, on the assumption that your Southern based.

8 x sockets- white MK
4 x f/spurs withe neon with appliance outlets below counter- white MK
8 x spot lights- chrome GU10's, existing wiring for switch and circuit feed use able
1 x cooker circuit and cooker isolation with connection below counter / behind oven
1 x hob circuit 6 kw induction
1 x fan- kitchen strength and f/ spur with neon

CU in spec (with RCD) and bonding, earthing and tails, all in spec

Testing and certs, notifiable works.

2 days 1st fix
2 days 2nd fix and testing
1 day survey /material procurement and misc
fittings, cable and components

In the region of..........................

:rolleyes:

:D

:LOL:

:eek:

About the price of a nice holiday, two weeks in Florida for two

Sponsored Links
No need to be quite so RUDE! A rough estimate is all I was asking for. Am I paying way to much, right price etc. I think I will take the other chaps advice and ask locally around, other than read a comment like that.

Thank you!

Is this for a new kitchen going in?

It's not possible to price something like this without a spec. but if it was just a straight forward job you could expect £1-2k. More if there are any complications to get over.

In Berks at the moment, prices have come down, there are some very cheap guys out there at the moment and a lot of them should be avoided. My BinL was undercut on a CU change, someone would do it for £180, what sort of job would that have been.

Make sure the making good is included in the price, plenty don't want or can't do the making good.

Thank you for your reply. Yes it is a kitchen. This guy comes highly recommended, and I wouldn't want any cowboy. I guess I am looking to pay around 2k by the sounds of it. Still seems a lot! I will await other quotes and see what happens.

No need to be quite so RUDE! A rough estimate is all I was asking for. Am I paying way to much, right price etc. I think I will take the other chaps advice and ask locally around, other than read a comment like that.

Thank you!

No need for a hissy fit, you've not indicated a complete schedule of required work and how do you expect a precise answer without furnishing such detail.

Ours is only a precise science when all information is disclosed, you appear to believe that such information is not necessary.

If I'd been rude I'd have simply posted a picture of a crystal ball and we could have gazed in to that for the answer. :LOL:

In Berks at the moment, prices have come down, there are some very cheap guys out there at the moment and a lot of them should be avoided. My BinL was undercut on a CU change, someone would do it for £180, what sort of job would that have been.

Where in Berks are you gangman?
I have the same problem of undercut quotes at the west end of the county.

CU change + equi bond me= £430 under cut price £200
(and they have called me since with a fault "the main rcd switch keeps tripping no power in the house at all"...........oh dear oh dear :rolleyes: )

Extension sso's + lighting + extract fans x2 + smokes x4 + bt ext x2 + new submain to shed + rcbo's for circuits
Me = 2.3K under cut price 1K cash

But I'll be jiggered if I'm dropping my prices to that level, I have a family to support you know.

I wasn't asking for a precise answer, I was asking for a rough estimate if you actually read my first post. Which I am in my rights to ask.

Hissy fit??! I am not even going to stoop as low as you apparently are.

In future I suggest if you haven't got anything constructive to say, don't say it all!

Cheerio.

Comms

I'm between Maidenhead and Reading.

I'm pricing a job now, some building work and a rewire. They have two quotes for the rewire, £3500 and £7000, though the second one does include making good the chases.

I'm between Reading & Newbury.

Some of the quotes I've seen recently leaves me wondering just how people make any money to keep trading let alone live.

Must be some serious corners getting cut in the work & no registration with scheme operators/labc.

Case in example:
Put a quote in for kitchen refurb (literally across the road from me), extend lighting & socket circuits & move cooker circuit to a central room island.
Got knocked back by customer as to expensive & builder was including sparks in the price.
Customer moves out while work being undertaken.
Last week gets a knock on the door it's the builder doing this work across the way.
"I noticed your van could I ask can you take a look at the lights in the kitchen at number ** something is wrong"
Now he doesnt know I've put in a quote.

WHAT A MESS jb's all over the show with conductors unsheathed & some bare outside the jb's. Cooker circuit extended with terminal strip hanging loose uncovered under suspended floor & run directly from cu (no ccu at all) wish I'd had the camera with me.

anyway the problem he had was:
He gets kitchen lights on dim when he turns outside lights on

Just to be nosey I did sort it out & found the offending jb, he had cocked up.
But also found he had done away with cpc continuity in the kitchen lighting, but just stared at me blankly when I told him then came the all time question "does that mean you wont do a certificate", my reply was you weren't getting one from me for this mess anyway but I can give you a quote to do it properly & above board.
He admitted he does all his own sparks unless it's a cu change then his mate does it for a couple of hundred quid.

Would love to take a look & test when he's done & dusted, might knock on the door when it's done to enlighten the owner :D .

Now do I report it (not notified I bet) or not :evil:

Never mind battle on is what I say :LOL:

In future I suggest if you haven't got anything constructive to say, don't say it all

And I did say something constructive :LOL:

Testing and certs, notifiable works.

2 days 1st fix
2 days 2nd fix and testing
1 day survey /material procurement and misc
fittings, cable and components

kiss and make up :eek:

Comms

After it's finished go around and say the builder wanted a test done, you'd forgotten all about it but better late than never. Should be interesting.

I really wish the powers that be would bring back forum rule 9

It will stop pointless posts like this and the ensuing whinging from the OP because we are not psycic. :rolleyes:

Really does get on my wick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back