quote is it expensive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi got a quote for replacing and moving the boiler in house from bedroom to kitchen downstairs.
quote is for removing old boiler and replacing with condesning boiler 12litres flow rate !
it will involve drilling few holes in ceiling right through as we have concrete floors.
quote is 1300 do you think this is dear ? or should i buy my own boiler first as i see boilers for 500 and up

thanks in advance for any replies

Sponsored Links
Its totally impossible to make any useful comment because you have not said if the £1300 includes the boiler.

its not usually a good idea to buy the boiler yourself as then the installer will have no responsibility for assisting with any failures during the warranty period. If it were a Ravenheat that might be important.

If it does then it sounds very cheap and I would ask if this is from a properly qualified CORGI installer who is going to treat the water in the system.

Drilling many holes in a concrete floor might need structural approval depending on the system used in the building.

tony

I would not even get out of bed if a client was looking to have a boiler fitted for that price.

What with gas line (possible) upgrade, system cleanse and treated, having to renew rad valves (if existing is a o/v system), gas work notification, disposal of existing hardware when it is removed, installation of controls to suit and condensate disposal.

If you are looking for an above average fit, good backup and reliability and the installer is giving you all that, you have won a watch. Go for it.

If you are supplying the boiler, expect the installer to back paddle when boiler fails to work or things are missing or incorrect- you then end up paying additional. I fail to see what the attraction is when people want to supply their own appliance.

Its because they think that it will save a few Quid!!
I only work from quotations When doing installation work!!

Price of materials + What job is worth + £150 J I C !!

If someone wanted to supply a boiler then I would only deduct what I would pay for it!!
It would also have to be what I quoted to supply!
Also I would accept no responsibilty for it !!
What have they gained unless its a knock off??

Sponsored Links
Seems too cheap to be legit to me. Is he Polish :rolleyes: A straight combi swap would be around £1700- £1800 + VAT. I would get another 2 installers round to do a 'proper' quote.

This is a joke surely .... can only agree with all of the above - cannot possibly be legit.

flyfto said:
hi got a quote for replacing and moving the boiler in house from bedroom to kitchen downstairs.
quote is for removing old boiler and replacing with condesning boiler 12litres flow rate !
it will involve drilling few holes in ceiling right through as we have concrete floors.
quote is 1300 do you think this is dear ? or should i buy my own boiler first as i see boilers for 500 and up

Cheap?

Yes, like the budgie.

Are you Italian?

Maybe you could drill 'a few holes', buy a cheap boiler and try to find a decent RGI to install it.

I bet you have a nice motor on your driveway?

Do you realise that a decent installer would need to charge at leat 400 pounds to prepare your system for the new boiler?

No, I guess not.

In a couple of words...'Get' and 'lost'

Cheapskate

David

£1300 is way too cheap if price includes boiler but a bit pricey if labour only.
Am Manchester based too and could give an estimate for labour only if you wanted to do it that way. Depends where in M/CR you are.
Perhaps you would wish to leave some contact details.

Steady said:
£1300 is way too cheap if price includes boiler but a bit pricey if labour only.
Am Manchester based too and could give an estimate for labour only if you wanted to do it that way. Depends where in M/CR you are.
Perhaps you would wish to leave some contact details.

Steady ..you old tinker you :D

Its a cheap estimate for my end of the country id say

Also depends what boiler you are getting,if they are going to chemical clean the system,register the boiler,clear the redundant waste,comply with Part L buiding regs by upgrading controls ,trvs etc.

if a jobs worth doing....... :eek:

remember that you want any boiler to last about ten years and dont want to be chucking away a crap boiler after 5 years and paying again..especially in your own house.So a few hundred quid more for a slightly better boiler or additional works will be quite long term cost effective..

If you are just doing up the place to move soom then snap off their hand at that price..But make suer that they are suitably qualified and CORGI registered first.

Your signature has been removed, please read the forum rules

Staffs which modern boiler did you have in mind that is going to last 10 years?

DP said:
Staffs which modern boiler did you have in mind that is going to last 10 years?

Vaillant IMO:

They are generally of a god build quality ..even now in the very competitive market.

And their condensing boilers are fairly well tried and tested as there are quite anumber of the early Ecomax condensing models still around and working reliably.

I know that that all installers have their own preferred choice and model but i am primarily a service /breakdown engineer and get to work on all the boilers that the install only guys dont want anything to do with.

Of all the Vaillants we have fitted in the last two years we have had only a couple develop a fault. the only other time e=we go out to then is for the annual service.

"You pay yur money and you take yur choice"

But i strongly believe IMO only that in general most boilers (excepting the very very bargain bucket boilers) if fitted correctly on a system that has also been properly cleaned and treated wont be far off the ten years working life.

These are few and far between though as a common problem is blocked and sludged heat exchangers and plate heat exchangers and systems that are left with filling loops open where the PRV continually leaks.

SO: I cabn get down off my soapbox again now !!

Not yet ;) THis boiler was not very old when these were taken....

Picture016.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Although I must admit the flue installation probably played a small part in its early demise... (EcoMax by the way). You could shine a torch from the bottom through to the top - a la the Alien film.

Soggy_weetabix said:
flyfto said:

Cheap?

Yes, like the budgie.

Are you Italian?

Maybe you could drill 'a few holes', buy a cheap boiler and try to find a decent RGI to install it.

I bet you have a nice motor on your driveway?

Do you realise that a decent installer would need to charge at leat 400 pounds to prepare your system for the new boiler?

No, I guess not.

In a couple of words...'Get' and 'lost'

Cheapskate

David

whats your problem i only asking for advice as i dont know anything about this sort of thing ! and yes i do have a decent car, idiot.
and yes that does include the boiler thanks for advice everyone

Dan !!! Stop it PLEEASSE

I am getting a little too excited with those pics of That "Dirty Old little Vaillant" What a cheeky minx !!!

TISSUE !!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK and point taken. However i think vaillant did actually admit that there was a problem with some of the plastic flue condensers and seals and quickly changed the design.. OK OK and i agree that they have reacted honestly to the recall on some Ecotechs and Glowworms that can develop a fault on the combustion seal after a certain period. They have not buried their heads in the sand like some ( FAULTY PCBS) manufacturer that i will not mention that let us all just keep buying replacements at an extortionate cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back