Quote me (unhappy!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering if there people prepared to give me a quote for some work, which I feel I have been over charged on. I recently had 6 recess lights fitted in my dinning room, and 9 fitted in the hallway as a strip. The guy used a special cutter which meant no floorboards needed to be dragged up. To do the lights, he wasnt at my house for more than a short day. I dont want to mention the quote, but would like to know what people would *expect* to pay for such work.

Many thanks

LK.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the work has been done but you are talking about quotes :confused:

If the charge was approx £30 per hour, would this make you happy or unhappy ?

If you weren't happy with what he quoted you before you gave him the job, why did you give him the job without at least getting some alternative quotes?

The work was done by an acquintance, as if for a favour. The original discussion involved a rough price of around 250 per room (as a favour). Because of this relationship, it didnt seem appropriate to ask for an itemised quote. The conversation went something like,

LK: "Yeh, I'm thinking of having downlighting put in here and here."
S: "That shouldnt too expensive. I could do this for you, I can get the lights for a very good price and it doesnt take long to knock them up. Dont go paying a sparky to do this when I can do it for you."
LK: "Are you sure?"
S: "Yeh ofcourse I am sure. I can get all of the products for good prices, and I wont charge anything other than the cost of them." Looking me in the eyes from a friendly perspective.

The point is, yes I should have gotten a quote, but it wasnt the normal job where I get someone in, he does the work and then I pay. The relationship is completely different, which is making it awkward now, give the price quoted is just under £1000.

Sponsored Links
Normal downlighters can be bought for less than £10 each.

Perhaps you need to remind him about the conversation and ask why the price has doubled, or ask for an itemised invoice.

Legally, I don't think you have much recourse - an estimate isn't binding, whereas a quote is.

£1000....man that is a criminal price.

Are the downlighters Gold plated and personally signed by Tommy Hilfiger?

From a wholesaler...

15 recessed 12V 50W Dichroic Downlighters. (Aurora) £151.80 +VAT
15 60W Aurora wire wound dimmable Tx's £91.65 +VAT
15 20A 45mm diameter JB's £18 +VAT
100m 1.5mm T&E £8.78 +VAT

Labour @ £25.90 per hour x 8 = £207.20 +VAT

Total = £477.43 + £83.55 VAT = £560.98 all inclusive.

And that is a contractors price, so your so called mate robbed you.

Some mate :confused: I just installed downlights for a friend of a friend in every room of his house. Including hallway. 40 downlights, got a mate to help me and charged him 250 quid labour plus i supplied the cable, connectors, sleeving etc. We were there from 8.30am till 6pm.

Many thanks for all of your replies - it is really appreciated. I kinda felt like the price was a "little" on the steep side. Thanks for filling me in with just how much.

LK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back