R&D tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Photos enclosed - appears that 2 circuits tripped a few times, including over night when very little electricity would be used (only Fridge Freezer - note the "dining room" circuit is the kitchen).

I don't understand what the yellow "R&D main site" is - I thought the red switches on the far right were the 'masters' of separate circuits. Is it another circuit? I also don't understand why dining room is a "B32" not higher "B40" like the neighbouring circuit.

Ideas appreciated - whether I should call an electrician immediately or isolate the Fridge Freezer as a suspect (eg extension cable to power from another room), or do something else !!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20151220_155848.jpg
    20151220_155848.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 20151220_123707.jpg
    20151220_123707.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
The RCD protects all those circuits to the left of it.

The RCD detects a fault on one of those lefthand circuits. When the RCD trips, none of those lefthand circuits will work.

Common causes of faults are rain in outside electrics, or something getting disturbed from DIY.

What exactly has tripped?

The RCD protects the circuits to the left of it he ones to the right are not RCD protected.

Why would you expect your socket circuit B32 to be rated the same as your shower B40 one?

To be clear is it the RCD that trips or one of MCBs?

Sponsored Links
The B40 is a shower. B32 are normally ring finals. B6 are lighting circuits.

Think you best call a sparks as you have insufficient understanding yourself.

Really annoys me when people just bung any old breaker in, it's not like Wylex breakers are exactly hard to find

Thanks all. Agree I should call an electrician - I just wanted to clarify my understanding as I cannot replicate the problem when I want to demonstrate it.

Nusku - both RCD & MCB had flipped a few times, but just now the MCB only tripped and there was a bang at my Hob (13A). Not at the board, but at the Hob in the kitchen ! Think this is now my main suspect.

I don't understand Igiffer's point about any old breaker vs Wylex sorry.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you may have found the defective device. That may well be a Live to earth short in your hob causing it. Was it spontaneous or did you turn the hob on?

The any old v wylex statemwnt referred to the left hand breaker in your consumer unit not matching the others....

I don't understand Iggifer's point about any old breaker vs Wylex sorry.
Yea, the far left breaker is a British General one, from the looks of it. A Wylex consumer unit should have all Wylex breakers in it. Wylex don't test every manufacturers breakers in their board for safety, only their own. Also, different breakers are different sizes, have different cable/busbar hole locations, and are generally a bodge.

If it was a really old board that you couldn't get breakers for anymore, it would be a little bit more understandable (still not ok) but wylex are stocked almost everywhere

Nusku - I had been using the Hob for 20 mins or so and it popped for no reason.
Worked immediately when I reset the trip.

I guess wiring is more likely the problem than the device but the only way to prove that is to get anew electrician to re-wire -- right ?

I guess wiring is more likely the problem than the device but the only way to prove that is to get anew electrician to re-wire -- right ?

Wrong. Guessing is not a good way of finding and resolving problems.
You may be right that you need an electrician with the necessary test equipment. He would then determine if, what and where the problem is.
Re-wire is unlikely to be necessary. More likely a problem with the appliance, or the connections to the appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back