Rad In Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, we have just been told you can't have a rad in a conservatory,(connected to the house CH) is this true? if so why ? can we put an oiled filled rad instead ????
Thanks in advance
Lynn

Sponsored Links
Techically no, 'cos a conservatory doesn't count as a permanent part of your house and there are heat loss considerations.

However, our conservatory has two rads in it, linked to the central heating, also, it is open plan with respect to the rest of the house, so it doesn't meeting building regs there either.

With regard to heat loss, how much more efficient would it be to use oil filled rads instead of radiators?

Not that I'm in anyway encouraging you to flout building regs, but most conservatories round our way are built in this way.

OOPS !! Ha Ha Ha, Thank you for your reply. silly thought here--- technically, a conservatory would help prevent heat loss from the patio doors in the house to begin with then, so aren't we cutting down on heat loss in the first place by having a conservatory fitted ?. rofl
Thanks again.
Lynn

Sponsored Links
Any savings probably more than negated by the addition of a rad in the conservatory :(

I've too heard that rads are not supposed to be put in a conservatory.
Does anybody know the regs on this.
A definitive answer would be very welcome. :D

One of the conditions for a conservatory to be exempt from planning permission is that it must not be permanently heated. So, any conservatory radiators must be connected as a separate zone that can be isolated from the rest of the central heating system.

They might, but heat would still be lost from the pipework to the radiators.

I've had an enquiry about installing a radiator in a customer's conservatory so I've just phoned my LBC to check and they say that conservatories are exempt buildings so there are no restrictions at present but there could be at sometime in the future (due to part L). :D

Rads in conservatories bad for the planet. Yeah sure.

:!: Patio Heaters :!:

:!: Americans :!:

Nobody is policing these horrendously appaling radiator positions so I would advise you do what the flying heck you feel like. If anyone ever moans, put one of these rad valves on which controls wrt time and temp.

i was always under the assumption, and i belive kev plumb and a few others clarified it when i asked this question on a post, that as long as you have a couple of gate valves or similar on the circuit before the conservatory so that it can be shut off if required then you are ok. but then again who the hell will ever know!! ;)

Hmmm OK we will fit a gate valve then, because i just went out and bought a six foot rad, i hope it heats the conservatory up enough, our TV engineer was taking some interest in the work we were doing on the conservatory, and his brother who works for British gas told him " you will not heat up a conservatory up with a rad" apparently he told him to get air con with a heat pump fitted ( sounds very expensive to me ) so thanks for all the info, we will fit the rad and wear thick jumpers. rofl.
Lynn

We have three rads in conservatory - two electric one huge tubular.

With k-glass double glazed it stays very warm. Never any need to have all three on. Just have the choice of taking the chill off the air in spring/autumn without turning the CH on. The electrics are from a company called Warmer-Linz, made in Germany they have high density ceramic bricks inside. They are brilliant - not cheap mind.

The whole point to this was when we had our house extended the conservatory had to be taken into consideration at the time of planning. The planning office did not bother about the heating in the conservatory. We live in Bromley & council is usually pretty hot on this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back