Rad not heating up!

Haven't checked pressure on flow /return. How can I do this? Is it flow/return the full system or just where rad is.

I don't understand you when you say does the water want to flow into the rad. Tees, water brake etc .. what I can say tho. These pipes where extended from an already long 1/2 inch pipe. The 3/4 pipe it branches off is on other side of house which is about 7m then I attached an elbow an extended the pipe in 1/2 in again and if I remember right, I've another elbow under the floor up to the Valve in 1/2 again.

I was thinking it might be air locked. But how come the hot water flowed out if the pipe when I had the flexi on.

Just now, I took the screw fully out, nothing was coming out if it then I covered it with my finger then air started rushing out fast then water shot out. I let the water run out of the rad air bleed part till I filled up a kitchen pot. When this was happening, part of the rad was getting warm. Soon as I closed it, the rad got cold again.

I turned the air vent off again for awhile. Opened it up again and could take the screw out again and the air was struggling to come out and no water. Closed it up and will look at it again tomorrow night.

Think it's air needing forced out if it somehow. But I'm baffled as to why when I had the flexi hose and hose on it, water was flowing out but when the rad is on, it's struggling. I think the water from one side was weaker than the other coming to think of it although there was still enough force from it to suggest it's not aitlocked.

Should I get a new air valve?

Sponsored Links
Here is an example. Rads on lower floor not working, all other floors (4 above) all working fine.
Expectation is that pressure at the end of the line (22mm main) is insufficient to provide pressure suggesting the need for an additional pump.
I created a connection point at the end of the flow/return main and connected a simple pressure gauge. What I found was the opposite of what I was expecting.
The pressure was actually greater at the very end of the circuit than it was at the beginning. I also discovered that both the flow/return had the same pressure meaning that no flow could occur.
In this scenario, there could be no flow due to higher pressure and no differential.
Now this balance will be back in equilibrium once the air is expelled but I'm now adding air purge traps to the end of each circuit to ensure a speedy purge.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2023-11-14 09-05-16.png
    Screenshot at 2023-11-14 09-05-16.png
    441.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot at 2023-11-14 09-04-56.png
    Screenshot at 2023-11-14 09-04-56.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot at 2023-11-14 09-05-39.png
    Screenshot at 2023-11-14 09-05-39.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 25
Todays reading....air being vented...pressure dropping on circuit

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2023-11-14 11-56-23.png
    Screenshot at 2023-11-14 11-56-23.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 17

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back