Rad Tail Extension Laeking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's I know this has been asked before but please bear with me, I want to see what other options there are.

I have replaced a 1400 x 500 rad in my lounge with a Kudox from Screwfix. The new rad is 40mm shorter at the connections so I have a 20mm extension at each end from Toolstation. After the third attempt (using 15 wraps of PTFE) it is still leaking very slowly at one end between tail & extension.

If it turns out these extension are a load of ****, what other options do I have in terms of fittings?

I will probably get hold of some Loctite 55 and give that a try but will likely be Monday now.

The first picture shows the parts I'm using and the second picture shows where the leak is.

Sponsored Links
I can see where you have used tape on the l/h side of the weep
Have you used tape on the r/h side connections and at the weeping joint
If you have and you have used 15 turns, increase the number of turns to 20 and try that

Nowhere near enough tape on that. 15 wraps..... bet you've pushed the tape off when screwing the extension piece in - you have been winding it on correctly? You don't need tape on the rad valve union (the bit that is on your index finger). That looks messy - a light smear of LSX would look a bit more professional.

I was under the impression that it was one roll per joint.

Guaranteed that no water can get past then. Don't forget to wrap some around the pipe as well. ;).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys. I applied 15 layers of tape on the extension to rad joint, 15 layers on the tail to extension joint and 5 layers on the rad valve union (unnecessarily ) :oops: I did wind the tape on in the direction of a nut being tightened otherwise it will try to unravel.

One thing I have just noticed is that the internal thread in the extension is very loose, the rad tail screws in all the way to the end of the thread so it's not biting on the thread at all. think I'll head over to Stoolsation ;) and see if these parts vary at all then it's out with the PTFE again.

I must admit, I am shocked how much we have to rely on PTFE tape or similar for these joints.

Why are you shocked?

Are you shocked it takes milk, tea and water to make a cuppa?

It is the way it is.

For what is worth I have not used PTFE in years. Loctite 55 is king.

Why are you shocked?

Are you shocked it takes milk, tea and water to make a cuppa?

No but if the milk, tea or water is really bad then you would need 20 sugars to make a cuppa work!! :LOL:

This is the first time I've attempted a rad swap and everything just seems a bit sloppy. I think the mistake I have made is buying the extensions from Toolstation. I'm sure it all would have gone together better otherwise.

Why are you shocked?

For what is worth I have not used PTFE in years. Loctite 55 is king.

I'll be getting some tomorrow I think.

Cheers

its not the ptfe's fault or yours, it is cheaply manufactured parts. They always seem to need a bit more ptfe on the tails to make a seal, some of the cheaper rad tappings are like that too.

Call me old fashioned but I have not seen an extension like that.

Previously my plumber has used Stelrad extensions the pictured extension looks very lightweight maybe a cheap import although more ptfe on the rad tail should seal it.

Don't over tighten the rad tail into your extension as the tapered ptfe tape you apply can split (hairline crack) the extension.Espically your extension.

Ps very good photos and such soft hands :LOL:

All the best.

I think, as suggested, they might just be cheap fittings. Extensions are prone to leaking (don't know why) even when they do not appear to be leaking, they generally go rusty after a few years. Try some new fittings and is it possible to lower the rad slightly? It looks like the fitting is wonky and putting the fitting under pressure.

Ps very good photos and such soft hands :LOL:

Dammit I knew someone would spot my pen pusher hands :LOL:

So I went back to Toolstation this morning and sure enough there was 2 extensions in the box that had much better threads, they've been on and pressurized now for a couple of hours without a drip.

Thanks for all the help guys, enjoy whats left of your weekends.

Chris

Cheers for the update bilsy
If I had known where you lived I could have offered
Some local advice as I was on the m5 earlier today

I've also used those Toolstation extensions (and possibly the same radiators). They're not bad, but I also got drips. Eventually I got some "TRU-BLU" thread sealer, and that did the job perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back