Rad temp dial broken off Vaillant EcoTech

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

The bottom left dial has broken off - but it doesn't obviously seem to be broken, so wondering if the end is simply glued to the armature inside, or maybe some clip that's dropped down inside?

As an aside, it's a new plumbing system (at a friends house), and since he turned off the heating, the hot water doesn't work. Any ideas why that might be?

Thanks

Marcos

Sponsored Links
And if he turned his heating off by turning the heating knob down to off on the boiler he wont get any hot water.

Thanks for prompt response. Although it is a combi, I think you're right, they are using it as a system boiler, as they decided they needed to add an unvented tank and accumulator/pump because the water pressure was too low for combi.

As for the dial, we still have the dial itself, but just pushing it in doesn't help. There doesn't appear to be any way to transfer the turning motion, which leads me to believe that it's either dabbed with a bit of glue in the factory, or some little piece is missing.

Sponsored Links
you need a new knob, and you may need to take the pcb out to remove the remains of the old one. Although its a reasonably simple job, its still recommended you use a proffessional. You could temporarily turn it up from the back of the pcb where it sticks through, but again, be careful and turn the power off first.

if you take the cover off and drop down the panel and take the cover of the pcb. you{ll see the potentiometer where the dial goes into the part will be stuck inside there. just use a small screw driver to pop it out and like a said just use the hotwater one. they are quite cheap to buy from any parts center

Nath

And if he turned his heating off by turning the heating knob down to off on the boiler he wont get any hot water.

That looks like what he's done - but seems weird to me. Why would you have to have heating on to get hot water? Is that just an inherent limitation of using a combi boiler as a system boiler?

Would it be the case that the boiler has to feed the radiators and the coil in the tank at the same time or not at all?

Anyway, priority is finding a way to turn the rad dial back up - it just both ends (the end on the plastic front dial, and the end inside) both look smooth. There's no notch, clip, anything. Thinking of dabbing with glue, but obviously don't want to seize up the dial, or void the warranty!!

Thanks

do what i said before. take the case off pcb cover and turn the potentiometer up with a small flathead driver like a neon.

Nath

you need a new knob, and you may need to take the pcb out to remove the remains of the old one. Although its a reasonably simple job, its still recommended you use a proffessional. You could temporarily turn it up from the back of the pcb where it sticks through, but again, be careful and turn the power off first.

Wow! That worked. Thanks:)

Just a case of getting a new unit I suppose.

Thanks for everyone's help.

That looks like what he's done - but seems weird to me. Why would you have to have heating on to get hot water? Is that just an inherent limitation of using a combi boiler as a system boiler?

That will be sorted with external valves/controls.
The knob is broken it needs replacing.
You may if you are carefull with the power off be able to push gently the remaining part of the spindle out and turn the stat on usuing a small bladed screwdriver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back