Radiator Banging query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a query relating to the radiators making a banging noise every so often, there is no consistency to it from what I can see.

My boiler is a combi with only 6 Radiators.

The banging doesn't happen in all the radiators just one or two and can be stopped by turning the radiator thermostat up or down a little.

I have tried bleeding them and there appears to be no air in the system. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
that will teach me on trying to be a smartarse :)

do you have thermostatic rad valves?

Sponsored Links
Monodirectional thermostatic valves fitted the wrong way round ( on return rather than flow side)will cause valves to chatter/bang when water flow at certain velocity.
Although if system is 14 years old and this problem has just started then it is proberbly a failed valve.
Removing the valve head should keep it quite in the short term but wont allow valve to shut with rooms heating requirement.
Drain system and valve replacement best idea.

The whole system is 14 years old, put in when the place was built

Removing the valve head should keep it quite in the short term but wont allow valve to shut with rooms heating requirement.
Drain system and valve replacement best idea.

I'm not at all plumbing minded - is that the valve head on the radiators that are making noises or on the boiler? I have boiler cover but not radiator so not sure wether to call someone out or not if its gonna cost a lot and wether its worth it?!

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back