Radiator BTU output

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am wanting to replace some old radiators, one in my living room, one in my dining room, as well as adding an additional radiator in the living room.

If i post up a plan of my downstairs would anyone be able to advise what size/output radiators I would need?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate.

If i am adding an additional radiator, is it a case of simply dividing the total BTU output for the room over the 2 radiators.

i.e if the calculated BTU output of the room is 8000 BTU's would i simply buy 2 radiators that give an output of approx 4000BTU's each? Or go over the top and get 2 radiators that give out 6000BTU's each (12000 in total)?

The room has a bay window and is very cold in the winter.

radiators are always better under the window for 2 reasons
1. it keeps all the other wall free to put funiture/cabinets there
2. a rad under a window makes for better convection of warm air.

it might cost more but worth it for a better job

check this site, they will make one for you,
http://shivradiators.com/.

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate.

If i am adding an additional radiator, is it a case of simply dividing the total BTU output for the room over the 2 radiators.

i.e if the calculated BTU output of the room is 8000 BTU's would i simply buy 2 radiators that give an output of approx 4000BTU's each

Yes.

The room has a bay window and is very cold in the winter.

You don't say what type of bay. If it's curved them if cost is a problem the link given by JP is an option. If your bay is flat (or curved) then you should be able to add a rad there with little difficulty.

..... Or go over the top and get 2 radiators that give out 6000BTU's each (12000 in total)?.....

If your calcs end up with outputs between available sizes, opt for the larger size. Some add about 20% to their calculations 'for luck' anyway - it saves them a call back if a rad. isn't quite up to it's job.

You can always throttle down an oversized rad, but one that's already going flat out can't work any harder.

the bay window is straight and there is already a radiator under it. The additional rad is to be installed on an internal wall in the same room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back