Radiator hanging problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to hang a 1200x700 K2 radiator to a skimmed brick wall. The skirting is very high (275mm high by 40mm at the widest part) and I have been told to allow at least 25mm clearance from the skirting-top to the radiator.

Can a rad. be too high from the floor? The top will be 1m from floor-level, which looks very high, but is there anything wrong from an efficiency viewpoint?

Possible alternatives considered...
* Mounting lower, but then the rad. would overlap the skirting, and bracket-battons would be necessary to make the back of the rad. clear the skirting.
* The instructions recommend fixing the bracket 'wide side' to the wall, but if I used the narrow side I would probably be able to clear the skirting, but with the centre-of-gravity a further 11mm from the wall, would the fixing still be secure?
* Use a 600mm rad., but unfortunately I need a 700 to output enough BTUS for this large room.

Bracket screws & plugs were not supplied - what size should I use? Are ordinary plastic plugs good enough for brick? Bearing in mind the weight of the rad. (48kg + water), are 2 screws on each bracket adequate, or should I use 3 or 4?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan

Sponsored Links
The brackets supplied usually clear the skirting either way round, but with them fixed longest side out, the rad may clear curtains better.
Radiators convect heat into the room, so they don't want to be too near to the floor - usually 6 to 8" is recommended. Whether its too high or not is largely up to you.
Use 5 gauge screws, 40 or 50mm long with an 8mm plug. I'd go for 3 screws in each bracket if you get a good fixing in each, but more if the wall is crumbly. Set the brackets using one of the elongated holes first as it makes the levelling process easier.
John :)

Mounting a rad higher than the normal of 100/150mm above floor level will pose no problem apart from the looks.Is it under a window?
Choosing the fixings depends on the condition of the brickwork.In good solid brick I would use plastic plugs and 2"x12 screws.Once you have the levels correct use a 3rd screw for security.Most of the weight is vertical and as long as nobody pulls on it it will stay put.Two hands are better than one. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back