radiator help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating is not working right i have put a new pump on to see if that helped no luck . I have bleed all the radiators and balanced . if i say radiator 1 is 1st on the line and 5 last this is what is happening. rad 1 working , rad 2 warm , rad 3 warm top cold bottom , rads 4 and 5 working well. i live in a bungalow by the way. i have been up following the pipes and it seems the hot going in to rad 3 is cold and cold is hot ? like its working wrong way and is warming up from the warm water coming out of the other working radiators into that one . i hope that makes some sense :) yes im a woman a little blond too and no plumper but i will try anything before me and kids freeze . :LOL: i have spent hour crawling around my loft following pipes so please do ask if you need more info on my system and i'll try to help . thank you for you time and help .

Sponsored Links
if i say radiator 1 is 1st on the line and 5 last this is what is happening. rad 1 working , rad 2 warm , rad 3 warm top cold bottom , rads 4 and 5 working well. i live in a bungalow by the way. i have been up following the pipes and it seems the hot going in to rad 3 is cold and cold is hot ? like its working wrong way and is warming up from the warm water coming out of the other working radiators into that one.
The hot pipe is always the flow (in) side and the colder pipe is always the return (out) side. Which way round the valves are is not important.

Rad 3 cold at the bottom could be sludge in the radiator. The easiest way to clear this is to remove the rad and flush it out in the garden with a hose pipe. A rubber mallet, or similar, to thump the rad and loosen the sludge would help.

If the rads are not warming up the same amount they still need balancing. What procedure did you follow?

i followed the pipes in loft and were it goes into i T from the hot it is cold ? and the other is warm ?

this is what i did

Started by switching off the system and letting the water cool down.

Opened both the lockshield valve and control valve (normally positioned at the opposite end of the radiator) on ALL radiators.

Switched on the central heating system.

closed the lockshield valve on the first radiator to almost closed, as the temperature of the systems comes up, gradually open up the valve until the temperature felt the same in all working radiators.

Thank you for your help
will get some help with taking the off as i can't lift them .

Sponsored Links
i followed the pipes in loft and were it goes into i T from the hot it is cold ? and the other is warm ?
Is it cold all the way from the T to the rad valve? If so that pipe is blocked. The pipe on the other side is getting warm from the water flowing back down the return to the boiler.

1. Started by switching off the system and letting the water cool down.

2. Opened both the lockshield valve and control valve (normally positioned at the opposite end of the radiator) on ALL radiators.

3. Switched on the central heating system.

4 closed the lockshield valve on the first radiator to almost closed, as the temperature of the systems comes up, gradually open up the valve until the temperature felt the same in all working radiators.
Not a bad attempt!
1-3 are correct You should then adjust the pump speed to give the correct temperature drop across the boiler.

4 is where you go wrong. You actually close all LS valves and then start at no 1 and open the valve, say a quarter of a turn and check the flow and return temp of the rad.

It's all explained inHow to balance a CH system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back