Radiator hot at bottom cold at top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the subject really.

Its only occuring in one radiator, I have bled them all including this one.

I can take the bleed screw completely out of this radiator and no air or water comes out. :confused:

Any idea whats going on? :?:

Sponsored Links
guess: if nothing comes out then nothing is geeting in, but since rads heat from the top down, i wuould guess it is full of sludge.

take rad off take into garden and put a hose on it and turn tap on and see what comes out

I can take the bleed screw completely out of this radiator and no air or water comes out.
The problem is no air coming out. It doesn't sound like sludge. Sludge will normally give you cold spots at the bottom of the radiator. Are you doing this with the heating off? There is a danger that if the pump is running you can actually suck air in.

Probably worth checking the position of the lockshield valve as well.

Yes I bled the radiators with the system off. I can hear water running through it now (heating is on ;) ) but the top is still cold. :?:

Sponsored Links
try my suggestion, its free and you have nothing to loose

I can hear water running through it now
If it's a rushing noise then you still have air in it.

It's not a lot of trouble to take the rad off and clean it out if you want to. At least you'll be starting from square one when it comes to refilling it! I still don't think it's that though - mind you I should have asked how old the system is before saying that and does it have inhibitor?

Its actually a brand new radiator as the old one leaked.

Whats an inhibitor......sorry about my ignorance.

No to the Inhibitor.

The system had been drained for two years prior to us moving in, as I say this radiator has been replaced as it was leaking. The valves (is that the correct term) were not replaced only the radiator itself.

The system is approximately six years old.

Blimey - it took 10 posts to get to the most obvious! Well done Kev!

I have to agree with kev.

I bought a cheap rad from travis perkins recently, the type with the bleed screw on the back of the panel. After much scratching of head, I poked the bleed hole with wire and whoosh, out came the air. It was then panic stations to get the screw back in.

I suggest you check you know how to close the valves on each end of the radiator before proceeding with kev's solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back