Radiator Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

got a radiator I require some help with. I have been decorating my living room and have had larger rads fitted,the plumber hung and piped them all up but didn't fill as I was still decorating and wanted to remove them again. I fitted and filled them myself, but I have a slight problem. Its a double panel double convector, when I filled it I just open the lockshield valve and thermostatic valve with the bleed nipple shut, then bled as normal.

The problem is its getting lovely and warm on the top half but only luke warm at the bottom. I have tried to bleed the rad normally but as soon as I open it I get water and no air. I was wondering if I had some sort of air trap or if I haven't filled it correctly.

Someone suggested closing both valves and opening the bleed valve and the plug on the other side then opening one of the valves to force the air out??

Just looking for some advice so I'm getting the best out of my nice shiny new rad!!

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Airlock. Close all others off, force water to that rad. Turn on all others and balance.

Thanks for the advice, by close off do you mean just via the thermostatic valve or lockshield aswell?? having had a quick look on youtube to balance I should shut the lockshields then open them up a 1/4 turn??

Air rises to the top so not an airlock, especially if you only get water out. Balancing is probably the issue as you have only just commissioned the rad but could also be lack of flow so maybe try the pump on a higher speed?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to add its a Combi boiler system so I'm not sure how to/if I can adjust pump speed??

Any links to a written guide or explanation of the process??

Forgot to add its a Combi boiler system so I'm not sure how to/if I can adjust pump speed??

Any links to a written guide or explanation of the process??

It's an airlock. Forget what he said. Turn off at TRV's. Run heating to that rad. Listen for a gurgle or 2. The air should move, it might get vented by the boiler itself or go into a rad. You will know as you turn the TRVs back on and one is cold at the top. Try this several times if doesn't work first time. Balancing I wouldn't think is major but turn down the lockshield on the other side to more or less half open. Close or open further to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back