Radiator leaking slightly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupid question sorry, I just can't work out what this thing is - there's a TRV on the other end of the radiator so I'm guessing it's a lockshield valve? It has a decorative cap, but no spindle or any sort of mechanism that I can see, and it's started dripping very slowly. What should I do?

20190925_210941.jpg 20190925_211019.jpg

Sponsored Links
yes it is a lock shield, it has no spindle you adjust it with an allen key in the hole

Where is the leak coming from exactly ?
The valve will be able to shut off ,think you may need a hexagonal wrench ( Allen key ) to do it. Or if you look down the hexagonal shaped hole , there may be a slot for a screwdriver. I am not familiar with that particular valve ,but it's likely one of the aforementioned.

Where is the leak coming from exactly ?
The valve will be able to shut off ,think you may need a hexagonal wrench ( Allen key ) to do it. Or if you look down the hexagonal shaped hole , there may be a slot for a screwdriver. I am not familiar with that particular valve ,but it's likely one of the aforementioned.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the central hole

Sponsored Links
It looks rather like a Danfoss RAS-C2 lockshield, though mine are not that shape. It might possibly be a copy by some other make.

246115_wl.jpg

Yes, you can adjust it with an allen hey. I forget the size, it will be metric, you get one in every pack. I expect Danfoss will tell you the size. Tie one to your radiator bleed key and hang it under the boiler for next time.

if a lockshield starts leaking, it will usually stop if you tightly turn it either fully open, or fully closed. Then you can have it replaced at a convenient time. You could DIY or ask around for a local plumber by personal recommendation (not an advertising website)

I'm a bit surprised it leaks, as it is good quality and not very old.

Edit:
Looking again, i think it is some other make. Posibly supplied with the towel rail?

Looking again, i think it is some other make. Posibly supplied with the towel rail?

Very probably, it was here when we bought the place so I can't be sure.

Found the correct size key but it leaks when fully open and fully closed (and very enthusiastically in between).

I've thrown a bucket under it and will get a pro tomorrow, thanks for the help (y)

Just wrap the threads to the cap with some ptfe and the cap will seal (y) then cancel the pro - but don't tell him I told you. ( nice to see hemp used on the other end of the valve - into the rad - shame it wasn't cleaned off tho')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back