Radiator making room too warm - two valves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

Right now during the cold winter, I'm getting too much of a good thing: heat! I'm in a fairly sizable building (~5 floors including the basement), and in my room in particular, the radiator consists of one pipe, with a branch that contains the dissipation fins and two knobs on either side.

As I face it, the knob of the left does not appear to do much. Turning it all the way clockwise will produce a gradual resistance until I cannot turn it any more. Having it turned all the way this way seems to reduce heat output maybe... 5%. If I turn the knob counter-clockwise, it will turn without much resistance until it hits some sort of "cutoff point" where the handle just stops turning.

On the right hand side of the radiator fins, we have yet another knob. This one actually has an arrow on it with the name "SARCO", and on the side of the valve, the words "SARCO 15 WSP 200 ***", pictured below.

View media item 72705
If I turn it opposite to the direction of the arrow (counter-clockwise) the resistance will gradually increase until I can turn it no more, and this seems to shut off water flow entirely. The fins cool down rather quickly, and the remaining amount of exposed pipe likewise cools off pretty fast, all the way up to the junction of what appears to be the return. This will also cool the pipe up to about the other knob I was talking about earlier, which still seems to remain pretty warm. Now, if I turn this knob clockwise (even a little bit), I believe that's ON, things get pretty toasty.

So is anyone familiar with this setup of a radiator system, and what each knob is supposed to do to properly regulate heat in my room?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Why not try turning LESS than your little bit?

There should be a setting where you can get a little less heat.

If all these fail then using lateral thinking, cover it with a towel and use that to control the heat output.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Turning the handle in miniscule amounts does seem to be helping a little bit... although I'm starting to come to the realization that I may never get it perfectly how I want I want it. Too bad it isn't one of those wonderful thermostatic-based valves.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back