Radiator not coming back on

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Ok, I moved into house seven weeks ago and after the oil delivery chap had bled the system from the external boiler, all was working fine. As not all the rooms needed to be heated, plus oil being a bit expensive, I thought I'd turn off some of the radiators. I now need one of them back on, but no heat!!
They have the old valves, need a pair of pliers to turn them on and off. I had an awful job to turn them off, but now the valves won't budge. I thought I'd cracked it earlier, but I'm not sure if I've turned the correct valve round. And before anyone asks, no, I can't remember which one I used to turn each one off. One of them is very scratched, so I thought it was that one, but it won't move, whereas the other one will.
Any ideas what may have happened? And the pipes under the valve I did manage to turn is freezing, whereas the other one is just coldish.

Sponsored Links
Buzyizzy, good evening.

Sorry but my flag identification is poor? I do not know where you are a resident.

OK in Scotland a new owner has a very few days to ensure after moving into a newly purchased property, that the Central hearing is fully functioning and that the Central heating System is indeed fit for Purpose.

Given that you appear to be resident somewhere other than the UK there is a possibility that you may have a recourse to get the Central heating sorted following the purchase of the Property??

As for what is causing the Problem, could be several reasons, not least is that the valves and pipework as well as the rads are badly choked up with gunge that could in turn indicate that the System is obviously clogged. Flushing the System may assist? the use of cleaning fluids and Inhibitors may assist?

Ken.

IT was working fine when we moved in seven weeks ago, but I turned it off as the room was being left empty. I now need it warmed up as the room will be occupied. All the radiators have the valves that need pliers to turn them on or off, but for some reason I can't get any heat in the radiator again. Can anyone confirm which way to turn the valve as I've read instructions for either way and also is there a way of telling which valve to turn as I don't recall which one I used to switch it off?

Sponsored Links
Buzyizzy, hi again.

What I was attempting to say was that under Scottish house purchase rules, the purchaser is granted about [from memory] one week to ensure that the Central heating system is functioning as intended.

If the C/Heating system [any part of it] is in some way defective, the seller of the Property is made to pay for a replacement of the faulty component, or pay to get the System working.

Obviously I have no idea as to what the Conveyancing "Rules" are as regards the system of Conveyancing in Ireland. Identification of Country by Echo the husky

Ken.

Can anyone confirm which way to turn the valve as I've read instructions for either way and also is there a way of telling which valve to turn as I don't recall which one I used to switch it off?

Valves open by being turned anti clockwise and close by turning clockwise. You can generally tell which will be open as the spindle (the bit you are turning) will appear lower on the closed one. As they rise and fall about maybe 7mm from open to closed position in general.

Jon

Cheers Jon, that's precisely the info I needed! Have checked valves and I now know which one I used to switch off

I haven't been able to turn it:( but I'll try again tomorrow. Now I know I'm turning it the right way. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back