Radiator problem/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, need some help before wife divorces me, Just moved into a house where we have radiators which are noisy when they come on, whilst they are on and when they go off.
There are tapping-like noises all the time coming from some of the radiators, including our bedroom one! The noises happen intermittently but are very annoying. :?: :?: :arrow:
All the rads have been bled and they all have individual thermostats.
Any ideas on how to get rid of these noises much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it a sort of tick-tick-tick noise, or a bang?

It's more of a tapping noise like if you tap your finger on a table.

I think it is probably caused by heat expansion of the pipes and/or radiators. It dos not sound like air bubbles. I expect it happens as soon as the hot water circulates, and, if you have turned a rad off, that rad starts making a noise when you turn it on.

These are a pain to fix, much easier to include the fix when instaling.

Radiators these days are delivered with a set of tiny plastic horseshoes, these go over the notches of the radiator brackets so that when you hang the rads, they can freely slide in these rather than rubbing metal to metal. They have a slick surface, like a plastic bucket has. I can't see how you'd install these without taking all the rads off. Have you had practice in removing a rad?

The underfloor pipes can make noises where they rub against the joists. Insulation or scraps of felt between the rubbing parts will stop that. Again, a pain to retrofit.

If you have any pipe clamps readily accessible that might be making noise, see if you can get a scrap of felt round the pipe.

Sponsored Links
have rads got trvs on check flow and return are on the right way as trs will jump the valve seating making knocking noise if u have combi

shaka said:
have rads got trvs on check flow and return are on the right way as trs will jump the valve seating making knocking noise if u have combi

brill idea.

Sorry but do not understand above posting. What are trvs and what is a combi?

rgds

TRV is a Thermostatic Radiator Valve. They usually have a knob that you turn to adjust the room temperature, marked * 1 2 3 4 or similar. If you have these look and see if there is an arrow cast into the body of the valve - this shows correct direction for the hot water to travel.

A Combi is a boiler which, for the hot taps, heats the water instantly on demand and does NOT have stored hot water in an insulated cylinder in an airing cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back