Radiator Side Panel Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to avoid asking this question because it seems stupid but, I can't work out how these side panels come off so that I can clean the convector fins of dust.

The plastic collar around the bleed valve turns but it seems to lock onto metal behind. I can get the bottom off without issue.

You can lift the side panel up, but it hits the bleed valve before the collar disengages from the metal.

Is there a way to take them off without destroying the plastic collar or removing the bleed valve?

Attachments

• IMG_9414.jpg
    IMG_9414.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9413.jpg
    IMG_9413.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_9412.jpg
    IMG_9412.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Managed to sort this. I lifted the side panels up as far as they go then the top grille slides to one side exposing one end then you can just pull the grille up.

The sides aren’t meant to come off without taking out the bleed valve/blank. S*** design!

Sponsored Links
The sides aren’t meant to come off without taking out the bleed valve/blank

Yes they are, they may just need a little bit of extra pulling.

If you are cleaning the rad of dust then just use a hoover hose and pipe and run it under the bottom of the rad, that's usually where it all collects.

Yes they are, they may just need a little bit of extra pulling.

If you are cleaning the rad of dust then just use a hoover hose and pipe and run it under the bottom of the rad, that's usually where it all collects.
Rob I once swapped out a leaking lounge rad in a house where they were both very heavy smokers, we took it outside and turned it upside down, you would have thought they had a cat barber shop that only done ginger cats, have never seen so much shoite under a rad before , I remember the days when the lads would go into bars to clean the filters from the nicotine things when smoking was allowed , they were dressed like they were cleaning a nuclear reactor, this was way way worse, landlord called me for another job in the same house soon after , said no thanks mate, not going back in there

Seen a few nasties in my time too Ian, I find the worst are utility rooms where there are tumble driers. Went to one where the lady of the house was complaining that the radiator was always hot but the utility room was always cold. You could have stuffed a cushion with the amount of oose and fluff that was caught at the bottom of the fins, that with 4 socks, a glove and the obligatory 3 pairs of nicknacks.

It's amazing how many customers don't check and find their rads are jammed full of crap and only working at half efficiency.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back