Radiator stops working after TRV is fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Recently I had an issue with one of my radiators not working downstairs in my home. I was puzzled at first as it has worked without any hitches in the past plus every other radiator in the house works fine.

After reading some posts on one of the forum pages I tweaked the pin under the trv and hey presto the radiator works.

However, I'm now finding everytime I look to screw the trv back on the heating stops to this radiator. It's Luke warm at the top but colder down the bottom. Turning the trv makes no difference. When I remove the trv I notice the pin has been pushed down when I pull this back up with the pliers the heat to the radiator returns.

Can someone please suggest what's wrong or correct me if I'm making a mistake.

Sponsored Links
The system possibly needs a flush, contamination within the system is seizing the pin on the trv. You may get away with just replacing the trv but check the condition of the water in the system first as you may end up in the same boat.

firstly thanks for the instant response and apologies in advance for any stupid/basic questions.

swbjackson: i did notice the very first time i pulled the pin up there was some black liquid which came to surface. it wasnt much though and i dont see this any more. When you mean flush, what does this process require? Could i do this myself? Regarding the pin, when exposed should it easily move up and down? when the pin is pushed in i need the pliers to pull it up but after that i can move it with my fingers.

doitall: yes i have the actuator turned up (i'm assuming this is done by turning the TRV to maximum i.e. 5). I actually tried the other way also, i.e. 1, just incase its messed up somehow.

Thanks again for your help

Sponsored Links
ok will give it another go with the oil or wd40 tonight...

thansk guys really appreciate the help here..

:D

When was TRV fitted?

What was water last cleaned?

Tony

Hi Tony

The central heating system was installed around 3 years ago. Since then water has not been drained. There have been no issues.

Now, what i will say however, is i've had some work done in the house which has meant some of the builders working on the job needed to move the radiator to get to the wall.

I reckon this has certainly not helped the situation. We had it switched off anyway as it wasn't needed but with the winter in full swing this no longer is the case.

The TRV was initially installed 3 years ago. What i refer to here is just me simply removing moving the pin and then screwing the TRV back on.

There cannot be no sludging as the whole heater heats up once the pin is raised but the issue is when the TRV is screwed back on. Seems that it must push the pin down causing the heating to stop. I cannot control the heating temperature either, i.e. turning the TRV knob has no impact on the temperature.

Thx,

You need to bleed a cup of water from a rad to check the colour.

Just because all the rads still work it does not mean that the systemn is not sludged.

Non working rads are the final stage of sludge problems and by then its far more expensive to sort out.

Tony

if the TRV's are all the same swap the head over for a working rad and post back.

Tony: I did actually bleed the radiator a week ago when i noticed the issue and the water was clear.

i'll try another TRV valve also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back