Radiator valves Why so Different

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about (while its still warm) to replace all my rad valves with TRV's so the first place i look is the trusty Sc**w f*x book, bad move. Whats the difference between reversible flow/Bi-Directional Flow,wax sensor/liquid senser, oh and dont forget Flow selectable!!!!!!
confused
:?:

Sponsored Links
Avoid the valve thats under a fiver - they don't name it so likely to be carp.

Any of the other branded TRV's are ok. They are all bi-directional/reversable flow up to a limit. This means the water can flow through the valve either way. If you are putting TRV's on most radiators you may also need an automatic bypass valve to avoid excessive noise through the valves. (This may also be required even if the boiler has one already fitted).

The Danfoss valves are "flow selectable". Under the thermostatic head is an adjustment ring. This allows the valve to be set depending on the water flow direction. In theory the valve should not experience problems bi-directional valves can sometimes suffer from (internal valve parts banging as the valve closes).

I fit Siemens, Danfoss or Honeywell in that order. Have not had any problems with any of them. Stick to a brand name though.

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
I fit Siemens, Danfoss or Honeywell in that order. Have not had any problems with any of them. Stick to a brand name though.

Whats your problem with the Drayton TRV4 ?

Most professionals use them as their standard.

Tony

Over priced for what you get and I don't like the look of them, thats all :rolleyes:

Drayton trv4 are by far the best but far two expensive(ok when only fitting a couple) for that little bit of extra reponse time. Plumbcentre bulldogs are a good value valve and neat looking after that honeywells, personally don`t touch danfoss as i think they look cheap and find the nuts and olive a poor fit.

sioux said:
I'm just about (while its still warm) to replace all my rad valves with TRV's so the first place i look is the trusty Sc**w f*x book, bad move. Whats the difference between reversible flow/Bi-Directional Flow,wax sensor/liquid senser, oh and dont forget Flow selectable!!!!!!
confused
:?:

I would also like to know the differance but all you seem to have are recomendations and not answers.

Flow direction is irrelevant - Wax and liquid capsules just refer to the temoperature sensing medium.

I think liquid are SUPPOSED to be better, but as I use almost exclusively VTY117s I can be a7sed to worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back