Radiator will not get hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new radiator fitted in the conservatory yesterday. It has been run from pipes that were in existence in the kitchen where a radiator was removed. The new rad will not get hot. We have bled the system and the pump. If we open the bleed valve on the new rad and let loads of water run out whilst running round opening the bleed valves on all the upstairs rads the hot water gets to the new rad but only heats up a couple of inches. We have turned the TRV off and bled, water comes out, we have turned the valve off the other end and opened the trv and bled, water comes out. I phoned the plumber who told me we need to wait at least 2 weeks for the system to "settle" before the rad will work. Is this right???

Sponsored Links
I phoned the plumber who told me we need to wait at least 2 weeks for the system to "settle" before the rad will work. Is this right???

ROFL.gif
thats a good one if i've ever heard one.

did he balance the rad into the system ?

if you add any rads to a system you need to balance the system or they will heat uneven/last rad will be cold or only get warm.

get the wally back should of made sure it worked before leaving the job.

Sponsored Links
That looks like it will be easier said than done he's not answering my calls now. Is this an expensive job if I call another plumber?

no just takes abit of time you can do it yourself.
have a read.

go to - Sticky: WHICH Boiler & Central Heating FAQs

FAQ 5 Balancing system

Turn heating on and turn off all the rads apart from the one not heating any airlocks should be forced out and it should start to heat .
Leave for about ten mins then turn others back on

"Turn heating on and turn off all the rads apart from the one not heating any airlocks should be forced out and it should start to heat .
Leave for about ten mins then turn others back on"

We did this left it for an hour and still nothing

[/quote]

Well just had an irate visit from this guy. He said there must be sludge in pipes and that it's not his responsibility if our system is faulty. He now wants to charge us for more work to get the system running properly. There was no problem with the heating before he fitted the rad. All the other rads heat up!! Pulling my hair out now. Would getting a new plumber be my best bet?
Think Hubby may kill this one!

or_dccb74db-8842-404b-9358-0880f2b3.gif

get another plumber anyone that ignores calls or start s getting irate when they know the job was bodged is a waste of time.

just cause the others work don't mean that pipeworks not blocked as you said that hasn't had a rad on that section for a while.

but you did say you have flow on both sides from each valve when the other valve is shut.

did you make sure both valves where open when you ran that rad on its own ? :idea:

Yes both valves were open.
Currently we have turned off all the other rads, have turned off the pump and have opened the bleed valve, water is coming out and the pipe to the rad is starting to feel warm, so warm water is flowing by gravity only at the moment as the pump is off.

close the other valve only have the flow/hot one open.
when you feel it hot into rad do the same with the other side.
then open both and run system, turn pump up to max as well n0 3.

don't bleed rad with system or pump running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back