radiator wont get hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i wonder if any of you expert plumbers out there can help me with this one . my radiator in my kitchen wont heat up .the hot water heats up the pipe but wont enter the radiator un less i bleed it , i have tried the thermostat pin and its ok (moves in and out) i have taken it off the wall and out side and flushed it with hot water which filled it up so it was warm ,so no blockage . i have put hose on the out feed pipe to see if this was blocked but the pressure gauge went up on the combi . this has me baffled can anyone help please thanks john .

Sponsored Links
when you bleed it does it heat up then?
try and turn off all other rads and see if it heats up. System could need balancing - Tuning all rads to work together.
If that don't work you could replace the rad valves.
Hope this works.

i turned the upstairs rads off and its started to warm up , what does this mean that i have to keep them off inorder to have heat in my kitchen ?

Sponsored Links
it means that you need to turn your upstairs rads back on 1/2 a turn each until they are working and get warm again.
kitchen rad should stay on.

I note you have bled it and it and the water bled off is replaced with hot water. What you should do, is to bleed it with your TRV open and the lockshield valve closed. Then close the TRV and open the lock shield valve and bleed again. Your problem might be the lockshield valve. or the TRV (you may only think it is open).
Got to use a bit of logic!

If you have a blockage it will bleed one way but not the other.
If it bleeds ok both ways, it most likely means the water is taking an easier route. It could mean the other radiators need the lockshield valves closing a little to force water through your problem radiator.(balancing)
I don't know if you have a by pass valve in your system, if you have, then the by pass valve may be too much open. This allows water an easy route back to the boiler instead of going through your cold radiator.
Lets see what you come up with!
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back