radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, we just turned out heating on to discover that the radiators upsatians work while the ones down work.
We have a ver old boiler, and I took off the cover and located what I think is the pump. It has a large silver screw on the front of it. Should I turn this and hope it gets water to the lower house?

thanks angie

Sponsored Links
ok, Its me again.
I did adjust the thing under the screw on the front of the pump. It did get water to the rest of the radiators, and now their hot!!!! BUT, now I am worried that I might have turned it too many times... I just turned it several times, 20 or so, in each direction several times. I need someont to tell me if I have messed it up by turing it too many times. I must appologise for my lack of knowledge...just cant afford a plumber right now...
angie

I think when you removed the large silver screw you exposed the rotor end. When you turned this a small leak of water should appear. Pumps often jamb if crud gets jammed in the impellor. All you did was free the pump. However the pump may be failing and on switching on again it may not go. Pumps are cheap so replacement should be easy. I would get the ones with three switched flow rate options.

hi there, thanks ver much for your reply. Yes that sounds like it. Our boiler is 25 years old, and they dont make parts for it any more. we plan to get it replaced when we have the money. I am glad to hear from you. thanks again, angie

Sponsored Links
Mere youngster. Our floor based boiler was over 35 years old, solid reliable castiron until SWMBO demanded dinky wall mounted boiler. Dislike as looks flimsy but at least it is not one of those costly unreliable condensing boilers.
Do not panic just because gas man gloomily says cannot get parts any more. If cast iron they go on for ever providing correct inhibitor in system. Mechanical clock and pump easily replaced if required with modern ones. Corrosion in burner area often needs simple bits of mild steel to pack up burner for correct height. So save your money put it in new kitchen units instead!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back