Radiators and BTU Requirements

This sounds like a large project and there are some oddities. Financial contribution? Tender for a domestic heating system?
Is this engineer paid/employed by you- if he is then why haven't you sacked him?

It's a bit complicated. We're agricultural tenants and the engineer is employed by our landlord. I am aware that under normal circumstances (I'm also a landlord) that the landlord takes full costs of such an installation, however ours is not a standard residential tenancy so an agreement has been made for the landlord to contribute so much and us so much. I think this is where this engineer is struggling as he's used to dealing with projects for tenants where they have no financial contribution and as such what he says goes (if that makes sense)

And yes, if this was my property, he'd have gone long ago.

Sponsored Links
OK that's making some sense.
Presumably your landlord was also at the meeting where the tender was prepared- does he have an opinion on the finished article bearing little resemblance to the specification?
Best bet here is cut your losses- you and landlord together work out what it will cost to get the job back to spec (get price from contractor who is on the job already), deduct that from whatever this engineer is requiring as payment.
If he twists, tell him you'll see him in court. Then get the contractor to finish the job properly, funded by the 'engineers' wage retention.
Critical that you get the landlord onside (presumably landlord is paying the bill & you're paying landlord). Your weapon here is the tender doc- you agreed to contribute to system xyz. Xyx has not bern supplied so you're not paying for it

Last edited:
Plan C of course is to get yourself on t'interweb, find the actual radiator that you want, buy it and fit it (it isn't hard, farmers/ag workers are resourceful people). Goes against the grain I know but if yr landlord isn't interested in pushing the engineer it may be the most pragmatic solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back