radiators for loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a loft conversion done and thought I'd put the radiators in myself. The most convenient place to tee from is the flow and return soon after they come out of the boiler (travelling through the upstairs floor joists). However this would be before the flow reached the pump. Would there be issues with lack of pressure. Must I connect after the pump?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like its a regular boiler to me if so then no you can't do that the radiators would heat whenever the boiler fired,you should tee in the flow after the c/h valve and the return should be teed after the return for the h/w cylinder. also if open vented it is important that the F&E tank for the heating is raised above the height of the rads as they wont fill ignore if its pressurised.

Sponsored Links
Are you converting a house loft or a bungalow? Will the pump be up to the job? A 'standard' domestic pump (Grundfos 15/50, Terrier TC5 etc) will deliver a 5 metre (16 feet) head.

Are you converting a house loft or a bungalow? Will the pump be up to the job? A 'standard' domestic pump (Grundfos 15/50, Terrier TC5 etc) will deliver a 5 metre (16 feet) head.
a 5m pump can do a 4 story house easy.

well you would have to raise the feed and expasion tank above the new rad other wise it will just fill with air

I Mean that the return for the cylinder should be closest to the boiler and any radiators need to be connected after that point oth,erwise water can circulate back through the return and heat the rads when H/W is on hope this helps.

I Mean that the return for the cylinder should be closest to the boiler and any radiators need to be connected after that point otherwise water can circulate back through the return and heat the rads when H/W is on hope this helps.
I had hoped that was what you were meaning. :D

If you go round the system in the direction of flow, from boiler flow connection back to boiler return connection, your statement "you should tee in the flow after the c/h valve and the return should be teed after the return for the h/w cylinder" is correct as far as the flow has to be after the CH valve, but incorrect for the return connection as it implies that the return should be nearer the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back