Radiators Hot, Clanking, Boiler Water Low?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our radiators have never clanked until this evening. They are the type that don't need to be "bled" and from what the man of the house says, the water flows in at the top and out through the bottom, eliminating air bubbles.

This evening, the radiator by the front door began clanking - loudly. Mr. Man went over to check the heat coming from the radiator and found it was much hotter than usual. The thermostat was set at around 64. The radiators get warm, but never really too hot to touch. Anyway - the entire radiator was hot - very hot. He checked the boiler in the basement and said it appears it needs water. He cut the heat off until he can discover the issue with the clanking and very hot radiator. It's not really that cold here right now (Virginia) - in the high 30's, so it won't kill us not to have heat. Still...it would be nice...

Is this something usual? Have I provided enough information? Do boilers need to have water added? Does it evaporate somehow? BTW - the valves on these radiators don't work - there is no hissing or escaping steam.

Thanks, all, for any info.

Sponsored Links
US heating systems throw too many curve balls at most of us plumbers here in the UK. [I'm not really in Pakistan I just like their pretty flag] We are just not familiar with the kit and regulations you have there. Please try this on a US forum and add info about the type and age of system and radiators Also the make and model of your boiler.

Thanks! Do you know a good US forum to try? I've searched (and my brain is rather clouded with too much Christmas cheer right now, so it's possible I just passed right over it!) and can't seem to find one.

Mr. Man is down in the cellar right now tinkering and I'm not sure that's such a good idea. It could be, though, since he can figure pretty much anything out.

If you can point me in the direction for a good US forum, I'll head over there!

Snarf.

US heating systems throw too many curve balls at most of us plumbers here in the UK. [I'm not really in Pakistan I just like their pretty flag] We are just not familiar with the kit and regulations you have there. Please try this on a US forum and add info about the type and age of system and radiators Also the make and model of your boiler.

I had a google and couldn't find one. You may do better than I did if you try.
I do remember coming across one that you had to pay for once.
Maybe there's a business opportunity for you if you fancy setting one up?

Sponsored Links
I did a little more searching for one last night and came across a lot of auto sites, but very few on radiant heat in the home. As a rule, the majority of folks in this country don't use radiant heat any longer. You'll find radiators in small enclaves of older homes - homes built prior to 1930- and even then, many homeowners have replaced the radiant heat with another, more modern style of heating.

We love our radiators, and I would rather have radiant heat than any other kind. Our home was built in 1919, the boiler was originally coal-fired, then converted to oil and then, 16 years ago, converted to natural gas. I found the website for the manufacturer of our boiler, Weil-McLain, and I'm going to use that and a few other key words as a string for a search. If I still can't find anything, I'll go next door and ask our neighbor who maintains her system. We're in a neighborhood full of boilers... :)

Thanks for your help!

I had a google and couldn't find one. You may do better than I did if you try.
I do remember coming across one that you had to pay for once.
Maybe there's a business opportunity for you if you fancy setting one up?

Our home was built in 1919, the boiler was originally coal-fired, then converted to oil and then, 16 years ago, converted to natural gas.

I think its time for a new boiler :LOL:

I broke down and called the hvac people. The guy came out and looked at our boiler like it was a three-headed alien. He had to call his boss in order to ascertain what it was and that it was functioning. Turns out we don't have an autofill water thingy. Mr. Man added water late last night, which made the clanking go away, but I wanted the blessing of the three-headed-alien-mechanic.

Apparently, it's good for yet ANOTHER 30 years as long as we keep it serviced. :) That may be a problem. I had to call 4 different companies and a neighbor to secure the phone number of a company that even knew what a steam boiler is, much less had ever seen one in a home. :oops:

Our home was built in 1919, the boiler was originally coal-fired, then converted to oil and then, 16 years ago, converted to natural gas.

I think its time for a new boiler :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back