Very hot radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Apollo 30 boiler and recently I have noticed that my radiators are extremely hot to the touch, I don't see any means of adjusting the temp on the boiler apart from the thermostat which is set to low and has been for 7 years.
I have the pump set at the slowest speed and all 7 radiators are fully open and every one of them is very very hot and I'm worried about the kids burning themselves.
occasionaly I get a banging and clanking of pipes as if there is air in the system but as I say the whole system is red hot.
Hot water to the cylinder appears to operate normal its just the central heating that is concerning me.
Thanks for any Ideas

Sponsored Links
boilerstat probably gone and allowing the water to get too hot so needs changing ,best to change hi and lo stat at same time

'Boiler stat' is that the one attached to the thermocouple? I thought that shut the pilot light off if it got too hot.
Thanks

No thats the overheat stat. and it should turn off if too hot but it would not be unusual for it not to be wotrking or someone to have bridged it out

Sponsored Links
a lot of older boilers with permanent pilot lights didn't have overheat stats, just a normal boiler stat. which if failed would bring the vent pipe into action

Thanks for that, it is coupled up at the moment because the last time i changed the thermo couple I got one without the connectors to get me going again but then a few days later I replaced with the correct one. So now I'm looking for the 'boiler stat' and cannot readily see it, although I haven't taken any covers off yet, could you point me in the right area please?

So you have xray vision then ,that must come in very handy :LOL:
Top right hand corner heat ex under a little metal cover. little black and silver discs , little paint spot on them identifies them for changing and not mixing up

Thanks for all the helpful advice, where's the best place to get the stats, plum center type of place or online supplier?

Just seen them online,
low limit white dot thermostat for the apollo 30/50b known as part number 402s115 £8.40
high limit brown dot thermostat for the thorn apollo known as part number 402s114 bgc code 382372 £8.40
Then theres this one as well
thorn apollo limit thermostat used on 30-50b and others known as part number 402a043 bgc code 382395, £11.20

are these the 3 I need?

Amazing 136 views and no one has said he may kill himself . looks like people are chilling out.

All stats changed still alive and kicking, thanks for the directions, they were very helpful.

Basics are always simple , ie too hot ,stat has failed .Amazing how many fail to recognise this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back